Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 09-23-2005, 10:24 PM

Default Been a while since I had one of these, line check

Party 30+3, started at 8:10 today. 180 left, 1100 entered, right before second break.

No significant reads on the table as I've only been at it for like 15 hands. I however, haven't played a hand, except last time when it folded to me in the SB I raised to 3x the BB and the BB folded.

Usually I think I raise JJ to 4x, but I thought this was ok too. On the flop, I check because, as a certain well known poster said to me once "rep the Ace by checking". I dunno, how do people play this situation? I'm not really confident in anything but the PF raise and maybe the flop check.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

SB (t167)
BB (t3170)
Hero (t4555)
UTG+1 (t5420)
UTG+2 (t7660)
MP1 (t18012)
MP2 (t9336)
MP3 (t2820)
CO (t8670)
Button (t6308)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t900</font>, <font color="">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls t900, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>.

Flop: (t2250) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks.

Turn: (t2250) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t1500</font>, MP2 calls t1500.

River: (t5250) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks.

Final Pot: t5250

As someone else said in their post, I expect to get no responses, because I respond to a billion more posts than I make... and nobody likes me.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:40 PM

Default Re: Been a while since I had one of these, line check

i usually just bet 3/4pot on the flop, fold to raise
Old 09-23-2005, 10:43 PM

I'm guessing that he had middle pair with a diamond or a marginal ace, but I don't think that you did anything too badly. I think that betting the flop might've extracted more information than checking. The call on the turn tells me that he's either drawing or slowplaying, but gives me nothing definitive to use on the river.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:02 PM

hmmmm... I'd bet the flop and attempt to check down if called, a call on the flop here means two things, aces or good non-flush hand, or a high diamond.

it's one of those situation where you can't know where you are at (if opponent is scared of the flopped flush). If you are behind, you might have a decent flush draw. If you are ahead, your opponent probably has strong draw (flush draw + overcard(s) ).

Not much of situation to bet for value. The flop bet is just to get rid of any non-suited hands with overcards
Old 09-23-2005, 11:03 PM

I like this whole hand. I sometimes bet less/do the same thing (except a river bet) with AxKd, though.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:05 PM

I bet about 2/3 of the pot on the flop, but this is largely dependent on your table image. If villain raises I lay it down. I don't think you misplayed it badly at all, just not the line I would usually take.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:16 PM

Yeah, villian had 88 here, no diamond. I dunno what his deal was. I guess I'm scared of betting the flop simply b/c I didnt know what to do if he raises back. Consensus seems to be fold, but what happens if he puts me all in? I think it would be tough for me to laydown given my stack at the time, and the redraw outs.

I dunno, this is ugly.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:36 PM

A check on the flop and a smooth call on the turn, I'd probably put him on something like KQ with one diamond or maybe a middle pocket pair. So I think you played it fine, just out of curiosity, when you checked, do you recall if you had a plan for if he bet the flop?

On the river, even though I believe you are ahead, I like the check b/c I can't imagine he would call you with much you can beat. IMO a very strong player is going to smell weakness here and probably make a position play for the pot, but you're average party player at this buy-in wont have the fortitude for that kind of move (trust me, I know, I'm one of them).
Old 09-23-2005, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A check on the flop and a smooth call on the turn, I'd probably put him on something like KQ with one diamond or maybe a middle pocket pair. So I think you played it fine, just out of curiosity, when you checked, do you recall if you had a plan for if he bet the flop?

On the river, even though I believe you are ahead, I like the check b/c I can't imagine he would call you with much you can beat. IMO a very strong player is going to smell weakness here and probably make a position play for the pot, but you're average party player at this buy-in wont have the fortitude for that kind of move (trust me, I know, I'm one of them).

[/ QUOTE ]

I mean, throughout this hand I'm worried that he has such a big stack and can put me all in whenever he wants. I pretty much went into WA/WB mode on this flop, so if he bet a reasonable amount on the flop, I'd just call, and check the turn to him UI. I just don't know, having those flush outs really makes things wierd b/c I know a push back to a flop bet is gonna get called, and I'n not sure how much more comfortable the flush outs make me. Same with the river, I just pretty much planned to play this hand as WA/WB.

On the river I checked not so much thinking that he wasn't going to call a bet as I don't want to get raised, and would rather call a reasonable bet from him (which I expected).