Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2005, 02:36 PM

Default Moving to short handed

I dont have a strong read on the player, but the table in general shows down hands like A high frequently. It seems fairly loose/passive preflop, then a little manic on the flop.

Thoughts on the general line taken? I am fairly new to shorthanded and getting spanked a bit, so any feedback is great.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, UTG calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

River: (7.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 7.50 BB
Old 09-15-2005, 02:50 PM

Default Re: Moving to short handed

Would a river value bet be too thin? Table is LP and crazy on flops...
Old 09-15-2005, 03:01 PM

Assuming that UTG is loose/passive like the rest of the table, I think a river value bet is in order.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:22 PM

I like your line. I think a value-bet would be in order if villain hadn't donked the flop - missed draws won't call the river so you are betting into mostly 9's and T's on the river since the rest will fold, and I don't think you are good 55% of the time when called.

Surf
Old 09-15-2005, 03:29 PM

I don't like a river bet either. Some guys do donk with ANY pair into a PFR, but more often than not this is a 9, T, or a draw. Flush draws won't call, and the only other missed draw that MIGHT call is 87, but that's unlikely. QJ is a possibility and he paired up on the turn. Just check behind.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:42 PM

I bet the river, but it's close. The rest of the hand was played very well.

In any case, it's good to get in the habit of betting marginal hands on the river. People just love to call that last bet. The money lost by missing river value bets &gt;&gt; the money lost by value betting the river incorrectly.

ZZZ
Old 09-15-2005, 05:53 PM

Bet this river for value, you'll be called by a worse hand at least 55% of the time IMO. Villain can have a lot of possible holdings you're ahead of that she'll be willing to call a river bet with.

I think the decision is close enough that not betting is A-OK though, nice hand Tim.