Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2005, 11:36 PM

Default Re: Interesting Article about El Cap and the a side bet about the TLB

i wasnt sure if the 6 of you played under the same setup on the same computer, but i guess you all had dual monitor setups anyway
Old 09-03-2005, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SCREW YOU GUYS!

The players were also the ones who put up the money so everyone won however much money they put up.

[/ QUOTE ]

So the bet took place between the memebers of Team Capitano and the rather precocious BigSlick789? Can you reveal who put up the bulk of the money and/or how much your share was?

Also, how do you slepp at night? That's all for now.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:40 PM

Default Re: Interesting Article about El Cap and the a side bet about the TLB race

As if the original bet by Gigabet wasn't ridiculuos enough, somebody found a way to make an even more ridiculuos bet.

Hopefully there is a lesson for all the teenagers in the forum that feel they have so much "gamble" inside.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:40 PM

Too funny.

I don't like putting up information about others. Sadly, my share wasn't too big.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, how do you slepp at night? That's all for now.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL Of course how do any of us sleep at night. Taking money from rubes is what we do. Wish I coulda had a piece of this action.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As if the original bet by Gigabet wasn't ridiculuos enough, somebody found a way to make an even more ridiculuos bet.

Hopefully there is a lesson for all the teenagers in the forum that feel they have so much "gamble" inside.

[/ QUOTE ]

See, that's the weird thing. Prior to reading the account of this bet, I would have pegged Bigslick as one of the most solid, gamble-free individuals among the legion of teenage-poker-super-geniuses.

I think the real lesson is that there isn't a player out there who is as good as people believe Gigabet is. (And yes, of course I know he's good, but the fact that he convinced others that he was a favorite to win the TLB bet proves my point, I think).
Old 09-03-2005, 11:52 PM

I don't have a problem with people getting fleeced because they made a stupid bet, but I am concerned about the image of impropriety this sends out about online poker. It sure wouldn't take much to spin this so it looks real bad.

Imagine a magazine article describing 6 of the best online players around sharing accounts to win side bets, possible playing on several accounts at the same time, maybe dumping chips to each other. I'm not suggeting any of this happens or happened, but it certainly opens doors for speculation that could do nothing but hurt the game overall.

I guess there is no way to prevent stuff like this, but I sure hope we won't make it so high profile anymore.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:56 PM

I happen to agree that situations where side bets are much higher in value than the actual tournies being played are open invitations to collusion and other forms of cheating. There was nothing unethical here, but with the money involved if these types of bets continue I fear it wont be long until there is.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess there is no way to prevent stuff like this, but I sure hope we won't make it so high profile anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what you're saying is: The problem is not that potentially unethical/unfair practices take place in online poker, but that the publicity spawned by them could threaten to scare away the live ones and/or get Elliot Spitzer involved?

The problems with keeping an online poker game honest are legion. There really is no way to do it. If players are entering one tournament on several accounts (and I assume MANY will be for the WCOOP) then the issue is not the fallout from bad-publciity, but the disadvantage that those of us who don't multiplayer are faced with on a regular basis.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:14 AM

Maybe im just being willfully naive, but do you really think there is that much multi-accounting?