Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 08-10-2005, 04:07 PM

Default AK misses multiway

BB is 19/14/2.7 TAG.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>

This is standard, correct? It seems people are gravitating toward not raising in this spot, but I thought this was straight out of SSHE.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:51 PM

Default Re: AK misses multiway

Straight out of the book = suck. Mix it up a little. If you make this play every time you hold 2 cards, observant opponents are gonna eat you up. I like to call here against a thinking opponent and raise any turn. If I don't improve I can check behind on the river.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like to call here against a thinking opponent and raise any turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
My goal isn't to spew chips.

I'm trying to clean up my outs and take a free card on the turn most likely with my flop raise.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:16 PM

here's the thing. SSHE is all about extracting the maximum from loose/passive opponents. The fact of the matter is, you are "out of line" raising with your overcards here -- the strength of your hand does not warrant the raise. The reason this is a great play against passives is that they do not make you pay when you get out of line -- if someone knows you are capable of making plays like this, they are correct in playing back at you, but poor players will not do this.

I think people are gravitating away from raising in this spot because our opponents at this limit are gravitating towards playing back at us, and hard. If we are drawing to four outs for top pair, we do not want to pay 2.5 bb to see the river when we could be paying 1.5.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:18 PM

I fold.

or, I peel and fold UI on the turn.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

at the risk of upsetting the Variance God, this is terrible.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

much better.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

at the risk of upsetting the Variance God, this is terrible.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

much better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's terrible at all. 9:1 with 2 tainted outs is barely enough.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:26 PM

A fold on this flop is awful.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:41 PM

erg don't fold for one bet with two overcards gettin 9:1...i usually just call with the intention of dumping on an UI turn
Old 08-10-2005, 05:53 PM

This seems like a reasonable raise to me for a few reasons. First, this is not a completely ragged board. This suggests our villain could be raising with a 4flush or possible straight combo. Second, the pot is already very big and you have a great chance to improve your equity. Lastly, you can force button to cold call two bets, usually forcing him to fold and giving you a chance for the free turn card. Seeing two cards for 2SB on a six outer is far better than seeing one card for 1SB due to the size of this pot.

The only thing that makes me hesitant is the fact that donk bettor is a TAG. This increases the chance of him betting a draw, but also increases the likeliness of a flop 3-bet, or turn donk bet which takes away your free card opportunity. Still, I'd probably make that move here.