Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 03:19 AM

Default Top ten tips for beginners

Totally new to this forum, but you guys come highly recomended. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'm doing a series of ten poker tips (30 seconds long) for the local sports radio station.

What topics would you suggest I cover?

I have some ideas, but would love to hear what you guys have to say.

Tuco.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:40 AM

Default Re: Top ten tips for beginners

1. Learn the game before you play for money. There's a bazillion books & videos out there, so no reason not to.
2. Pick a game & limit you can afford to lose at. Not because you're planning to lose, but because you can't be afraid to.
3. Play tight.
4. Forget everything you think you learned by watching the pros on tv. You are not Gus Hansen; the pros are better than you.
5. Play sober.
6. If you have questions, don't be afraid to ask the dealer. If you're playing online, don't be ashamed to sit out a few hands and look up the answers.
7. Save bluffing for your second session.
8. Be patient. The guy across the table from you may have just dragged two huge pots with 73o and 42s, respectively, but he'll be broke before too long.
9. You are not entitled to win every time you're dealt pocket aces. You're just favored to.
10. If you start to get angry or frustrated at the table, you need to stop playing.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

2. Pick a game & limit you can afford to lose at. Not because you're planning to lose, but because you can't be afraid to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Might want to give the 300BB figure as the number of big bets you need to play at any limit without a big chance of going broke.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

5. Play sober.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutly not true, baby. Not true at all. It aint no limit without a Michelob, baby!

Limit? It aint poker without a Michelob, baby!
Old 07-29-2005, 04:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Learn the game before you play for money. There's a bazillion books & videos out there, so no reason not to.

[/ QUOTE ]

I stopped reading here. Don't give good advice on public airwaves. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-29-2005, 04:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I stopped reading here. Don't give good advice on public airwaves. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.. how about :

#1 Never fold before the flop because you never know what it will bring. They say any 2 cards can win for a reason! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-29-2005, 04:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesnt matter, most ppl will not have the capability, nor patience to learn enough about the game to implament any tips you can give them.

You can give a step by step to correct post flop play and most will never understand it correctly and will probably lose more money trying to play good post flop play w/o understanding the concepts.

You can buy as many poker books as u like, but unless u really have a drive to do well...they wont help u much. Takes a ton of time and work to get anywhere. A top ten tip list wont improve anybodies game. Maybe 2-3 ppl will care enough to buy a book or two.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

5. Play sober.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutly not true, baby. Not true at all. It aint no limit without a Michelob, baby!

ahaha thats great

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-29-2005, 04:19 AM

Learning not to shove all-in preflop with J-2 offsuit in a tournament? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Sorry Tuco, I just had to get that in...

Lawrence
Old 07-29-2005, 04:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

5. Play sober.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I need some gimmick accounts. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]