Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2005, 01:35 AM

Default cap this flop when fish get aggressive?

UTG is a big fish. 64% seen, no preflop raises, very passive afterwards.

Should I cap this flop and then see if he leads out at me on the turn - if he leads, call down, otherwise bet into him?

Given his fishy nature, his aggression here is a little out of character - not sure if that makes it more or less likely he has a flush. Given my overpair + queen high flush redraw, I think capping was probably right.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (7.33 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.66 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.66 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.66 BB
Old 04-25-2005, 01:44 AM

Default Re: cap this flop when fish get aggressive?

if he is a fish IE very low AF i am looking to fold this on the turn typically he wont' be playing like that without something that pounds you.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i am looking to fold this on the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

Not with the Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 04-25-2005, 01:48 AM

A fold on this turn seems very questionable... giving the fish credit for the A or K high flush seems wrong.

At least a reasonable % of the time, your flush redraw is live. You also have 4 outs to the full house.

Your overpair will also be good at least some of hte time.

I don't know what the exact odds I'd put it at are, but calling down seems right to me.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:58 AM

Given the read, I like the way you played it.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:49 AM

Folding at any point in this hand is ridiculous.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:57 AM

Fish don't bet into one-suited flops without a spade draw. They don't rebet them without something that beats you -- most likely a set or a flush. UTG jams this pot on the flop, and that's quite out of character. That's an alarm in your head.

Turn card pairs the board and suddenly fish gets quiet, but he doesn't fold. To me, that says that the fish has his flush and is scared that you just made a full house. However, he's not sure you have the boat, so he'll be damned if he's going to lay down his flush.

River is the same.

To me, this says "flush." It's possible he's got something less, but I don't think the river bet is +EV. Betting the flop seems right. Leading the turn on the strength of your draw and the possibility of a misread seems right. Leading the blank river unimproved seems wrong.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:12 AM

I'd just call the flop. It's heads up. You're bet into by a "very passive" player. If he's betting a draw with the A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] alone even you're just a slight favorite. If he's got a better spade plus pair he's a favorite. And I think those are you're best case scenarios, other than possibly two pair. I know it's difficult to look at this board and you're overpair with [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] redraw and not raise it but I think this raise serves no purpose other than lose you money in the long run against this opponent.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:18 AM

Default bump

Anyone have anything to say...agree/disagree...regarding my flop comments here?

I know this isn't as interesting as AA vs. KK that gets 30 responses but I'd like to get some other opinions on the flop here even if it's just telling me I'm full of it.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:46 AM

Your line seems good to me. I wouldn't try to cap the flop.

Fin