Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-27-2005, 12:22 AM

Default AJo against a tag stealer

CO is a tag who gets a little too aggressive pre and postflop. Stats are 18/12/4.2. SB is a loose passive who cold calls too much. Stats are 33/5.4/.5. I was close to 3-betting PF but decided against it because I suck. Not sure about the rest.

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>
Old 12-27-2005, 12:33 AM

Default Re: AJo against a tag stealer

I think 3-betting PF really helps you out here. Given how you played it I may have donk bet the flop instead of the turn and gone from there.

SGS
Old 12-27-2005, 12:40 AM

I don't think donking that flop does much because the tag knows that this flop rarely hits my defending range.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:00 AM

That was why I wanted to donk the flop. Hopefully he raises and knocks out the SB. Then my next objective would be to get showdown.

Then again I may be missing something. What are you trying to do when you bet the turn? Are you trying to get to a showdown? Are you planning on folding to a raise?

SGS
Old 12-27-2005, 01:13 AM

I'm confused by your turn bet. Maybe i'm missing the point, but why would want to represent that the K hit you?

If it actually hit the SB or the CO you're certainly getting called, if not raised. If it didn't hit either one of them, you probably have both of them beat, and they are probably going to correctly fold.

It seems that you can count on the TAG to bet the turn regardless of his holding, so I'd rather check and see what CO does, and what the SB does. If the SB calls, i'd fold. If he folds, i'm definately calling, and wouldn't hate a c/r. Then the TAG might laydown a pair (i'm assuming his range is wide here). He certainly isn't throwing away a pair to a turn donk, at least I can't imagine he would.

I guess the real question is how would you play KJ in this spot, would you donk or c/r the turn? Is the TAG aware of this? The turn donk just looks so weak, i'd imagine you'd get raised by lots of worse hands. If thats your plan, trying to force out the SB, and then showing down, its ok I guess, but if bet/fold was your plan I think its pretty bad against that aggro of an opponent.

lf
Old 12-27-2005, 01:10 PM

I don't like this at all. Not only do you have CO to get rid of but SB will often have something better than you here as well. Check-fold the turn.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:06 PM

Looks ok to me. You fold to a raise I presume - I would.

- Jim
Old 12-27-2005, 02:28 PM

Me personally, I donk a lot with a K in my hand. I like the donk here with ace-high because you're out of relative position with the SB in there and you probably have the best hand. I want to put pressure on the CO and using the squeeze is an excellent way to do it.

Relying on a SB's poker skills to define whether you play the hand past the turn is not a good plan imo.

- Jim