Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-25-2005, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Do I fold AA on this flop with this action?

[ QUOTE ]
But if UB games play anything like FT games, this is probably a fold as most levels above NL200+

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep in mind that I chose this table because it had very high avg. pot sizes, and a high VP$IP (Party-level stats, I don't remember exactly what they were, but I normally play party, and these were at least equivalent or better).

Does this change the analysis at all?
Old 12-25-2005, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yes, over-calling here is terrible w/o the A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] redraw.

additionally, betting $55-60 should save you a few bucks in the long-run and give you the information you need, but that may be nit picking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding here is suicidally silly. He has 2 ace outs and 4 gutshot outs IF he is behind.

If this is the loose table, hero has little info about hte history between these two players, and he is getting 5-1, how can you even consider folding? Don't compound a quick error by explaining it into a well thought out one.
Old 12-25-2005, 05:41 PM

Default Results

So this was one of the longest amounts of time I've taken for a poker decision, I nearly ran the clock out. At first I completely felt that I was beat, and there was no way that button cold-calls an all in with anything less than a set. Then I realized that the pot was laying me 5:1 odds on the call, but I couldn't figure out if I"m really good 1 in 5 times. Then I realized that I also had outs, anywhere from 4-6, absolute worse case scenario being UTG playing AX clubs and Button having a set, leaving me with 3 clean straight outs, and 1 clean set out. I finally decided to call, but even after the hand I wasn't sure if it was correct (which is why I posted here). In fact I had all but convinced myself that I made a totally donk call. Consensus seems to be that it was the correct call however, so I feel better. Here's the hand history in full (I had to modify it slightly because converter isn't working properly):

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (4 handed) converter

SB ($52.25)
Hero ($198)
UTG ($227.50)
Button ($390.85)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $7</font>, Button calls $7, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $22</font>, UTG calls $15, Button calls $15.

Flop: ($67) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $67</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets all in for $205</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button calls</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero calls</font>.

Turn: ($654) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

River: ($654) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

Final Pot: $654

Results (in white):

<font color="white"> Hero had AA
UTG Villain Had 10c/7c
Button Had 44 (for the set)

So I did indeed only have 4 outs, or maybe 4.25 if you count the ace of clubs plus the boat redraw as a quarter of an out. Not that the results matter.</font>
Old 12-25-2005, 06:13 PM

Default Re: Results

These results = merry Xmas jman [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-25-2005, 11:10 PM

Default Re: Results

[ QUOTE ]
These results = merry Xmas jman [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, yup: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...e=2#Post4275983
Old 12-26-2005, 02:54 PM

I also have had my share of troubles with AA in the past and have therefore given these situations some thoughts.
First: what table image do you have? Since you are new to the game your opponents do not know this and therefore have to label you as tight until proven otherwise. The range of hands they can put you on would be something like AA KK QQ JJ and AKs
Let's look at this situation from the button and assume that he has put you on this range of hands.
For him to call he needs a premium hand himself. If however he has position and deep money he can also add medium and pocket pairs to his range. These are the ultimat trap hands and have huge implied odds

Given this information, the flop is a total disaster for you. You correctly make a potsized bet, but I would have let go of the hand after that.