Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 12-21-2005, 09:38 PM

Default Any way to play this hand differently?

Looking for a good roast here...

7 Card Stud High ($3/$6), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $1 (converter)

Seat 2: $147
Seat 3: $183.50
Seat 4: $285
Hero: $216
Seat 7: $172
Seat 8: $133

3rd Street - (1.00 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___completes___calls
Seat 7: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (5.33 SB)

Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 7: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (3.67 BB)

Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___raises
Seat 7: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___calls

6th Street - (7.67 BB)

Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 7: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises

River - (11.67 BB)

Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 7: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___bets

Total pot: (13.67 BB)

Results: IN WHITE
Main Pot: $79 | Rake: $3
<font color="white">
Hero: [ 4d Kd Kh Qd Tc 3c 7h ] [ a pair of kings -- Kd,Kh,Qd,Tc,7h ]

Seat 7: [ Ts Qh Qs 5c 6s Th 4s ] [ two pairs, queens and tens -- Qh,Qs,Ts,Th,6s ] </font>
Old 12-21-2005, 09:43 PM

Default Re: Any way to play this hand differently?

I would re-raise him on third, and either bet or check raise him on fourth.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:45 PM

I think you should fold 7th - other then that I like it.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:00 PM

im wondering what check raising 5th accomplishes here? he isn't getting away from his hand and you haven't improved yours

and im wondering why villain raised with a possible weaker two pair when you are representing two pair
Old 12-21-2005, 10:09 PM

Additional notes:
1) I chide myself for not raising 3rd, esp. b/c villian is laggish.
2) I knew I was most likely beat on 7th.
3) The 5th street raise was partly for information, partly because I felt as though I had the best hand at that point.
4) When I was raised on 6th, I feared 2 pair, which is why I should have folded on 7th, but the bettor had such a range of betting hands that I could not fold in my mind.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:09 PM

You have little reason to think you are not ahead on 5th hence the check raise. The hand is simpler if you just 3 bet 3rd but that defines your hand too much and a check raise on 4th will have the same results but you are losing a fraction of a bet by doing it on a smaller street.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:12 PM

Get a raise in earlier than 5th...this isn't hold 'em. Also, you've represented a strong hand - it's doubtful your opponent is raising with a hand on 6th that can't beat two kings, esp. given his ragged board. I muck on 7th w/o improvement.

Jeff
Old 12-21-2005, 10:53 PM

I would tend to three-bet third and lead out on fourth, but I think your line is OK. I think the only thing I do different is to fold the river, unless the other guy is a real nut job.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:15 PM

Pretty well the same comments as the others except that I'd add that though you obviously suspect QQTT, against some players I think it's OK to call the river. Against others, it is a definite fold. And because of your read of the player, it may very well have been the right call.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:13 AM

Why are we folding on the end here? Sure, you're beat 90% of the time (though something like (Ts 6s)Qs was possible for the enemy), but the pot is big and a call offers you some bluff protection for later. I'm going to err on the side of calling, with an occasional fold if I really know my opponent.

Michael