Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-12-2005, 06:02 AM

Default I think this is standard

but wanted to make sure.

9 handed 20/40.

Unfortunatly I have no specific notes, only stats.

UTG raiser is roughly 28/12 but only over 30 hands.

He openraises, MP 28/14 3bets, I coldcap QQ on the button, they call.

Flop comes 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

check, check, bet, call, call.

Turn 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

check, bet, I raise, Call-2, call.

River 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

open-fold, check, bet, raise, I call.

-DrG
Old 12-12-2005, 06:22 AM

Default Re: I think this is standard

I'm a wimp, but I don't bet that river, and if I do I don't call a raise. His turn bet is a hand that doesn't want to get checked through, and your raise tells him you have a BIG pair. He has to have a better hand to c/r this river, I just can't see calling the raise being correct. If he's tricky enough to c/r with a worse hand, I don't bet the river.

lf
Old 12-12-2005, 06:33 AM

I don't understand the river bet and I defintely don't understand the call. Can JJ even call a river bet? Is he aggressive enough to check/raise bluff JJ?
Old 12-12-2005, 06:55 AM

IMO very little calls that you beat on the river, so check that mofo. I don't like the river bet, but I'm not folding to that raise, as he sure didn't play his hand like he has an A. 66 makes more sense IMHO, or pure air.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand the river bet and I defintely don't understand the call. Can JJ even call a river bet? Is he aggressive enough to check/raise bluff JJ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Given his turn stop+go, what hands do you put him on that don't 3bet there? If you had an overpair in his spot, do you check-fold the river getting 15:1 against an unknown? If there's even any doubt that you would, that probably means most other players would call it. The questions you are asking are really the questions I'm asking the forum.

Do you really think a river check-behind is the right play given his play up to that point? If maybe I have made a point for betting the river, I think the call of the check-raise is an absolute must if he puts me on KK/QQ and thinks there's a slight chance I'd fold to the bluff as a desperation move.

results later.

-DrG
Old 12-12-2005, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IMO very little calls that you beat on the river, so check that mofo. I don't like the river bet, but I'm not folding to that raise, as he sure didn't play his hand like he has an A. 66 makes more sense IMHO, or pure air.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I'm glad you think that calling the c/r was the right move, but really what do you put him on? Given that he didn't 3bet the turn (after a raise and a CC) - don't you think we can pretty much limit his hands to 99,TT,JJ,KK? Those certainly are the hands I put him on.

And as far as "nothing you beat is calling the river" goes...come on now...you really think this guy is folding one of those hands in that massive pot? Personally, I think a desperation check-raise is more likely than a check-fold with one of those hands, which is why I played it this way.

-DrG
Old 12-12-2005, 04:08 PM

Don't bet the river, but if you get trigger happy and do, you gotta call the raise. You're going to get shown an ace here 80% of the time, but... [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 12-12-2005, 10:13 PM

Check the river.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:41 PM

I think a check on the end is standard as well. I don't bet here, when a bare A is all he needs to beat you. I think the previous streets are well played. However, the bet on the end here is not good. There is not much he can call with that you beat. The probability of him having an A for the wheel is to strong and I don't want to put 2 bets in on the end b/c I am surely losing if that happens.