Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2005, 03:56 AM

Default Final table hand. Your move here?

Weekly B&M $115+$100 rebuy NLHE tourney. 50 entries. With the rebuy you get 2000 in chips. Pays 6 spots, although 6th and 5th are pretty much booby prizes. We are 7 handed at the final table. Blinds are 1000-2000, going to 2000-4000 very soon. No one is shortstacked, but there are two players with big stacks. Table has been fairly tight.

I have been extra tight, raising only two hands at the final table and showing only one, KK. Villian has played more hands and hasn't shown much strength with weak aces and hands like KT, KJ. Rough chip counts:

Villian button (12000)
SB (22000)
Hero BB (12300)

Folded to villian who raises to 6000 (3XBB and about 1/2 his stack)
SB ponders and folds.

Action to hero with 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Push, call or fold?

If the hero pushes, what range would the villian have to be holding to call the all in bet?
Old 11-11-2005, 04:27 AM

Default Re: Final table hand. Your move here?

You have 6 BB, soon to be 3 BB and no one is short stacked? I push and expect Villain to call regardless of what he holds. I expect to be ahead most of the time. I assume the "big stacks" have ~40k?
Old 11-11-2005, 04:28 AM

Call and push any flop.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:29 AM

Actually, Noah's idea is better. Villain sounds like a weakish player and you might get him to fold a hand (even a better hand) this way, by pushing I don't think he folds anything.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

You have 6 BB, soon to be 3 BB and no one is short stacked?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, actually 5 of us are short stacked when you look at it that way. I had tried to get comments on this (awful) structure here
Old 11-11-2005, 04:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Call and push any flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

perfect. he's not folding anything here preflop getting 3:1. if the flop is a23, he's folding kq w/o getting to see the turn and river, and he might even fold a pair bigger than your's. you really risk nothing by waiting for the flop to push.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:33 AM

Im assuming that the villain isnt a complete idiot..So raising here 1/2 of his stack instead of the whole thing must mean something. The best chance of getting people to fold the blinds to him is an all in, obviously. 12,000 to win $3,000..I can see that easily being a profitable play over time with only 2 players left to act. We assume he knows that, and since hes an aggressive player hes not the type of person that doesnt want to risk their stack in case they get re-raised all in BS.

An all in raise here would be directed at the SB..12,000 would more than cut his stack in half..A raise of 6,000 is half of your stack so he must assume that if you're going to play you're going to play for all your money.

But it means the SB only needs to call another 5,000, which is around 1/5th of his remaining stack. On the balance it would seem to me at least hes looking action on the hand. Hes looking for someone to pop him all in.

Im not very sure about this hand because of the very skimpy details, but there is one overriding factor in all of this. With blinds at 1000-2000 your M (Stack/(BB+SB)) is only 4, and your effective M is more like 3(7 players left). With an M of 3 im looking to go all in with any two cards basically. 88 is a much better hand than I would need for a push, especially when blinds are doubling soon.

My read on the situation is to go ahead and hope hes holding something like AK. I don't think there is much you can do, you need to take the chance that he might have a higher pair. Harrington says "Beware the overthink". Your play is always dictated by the level of the blinds.