FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Ceiling Fans
no 23 54.76%
no 19 45.24%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-29-2005, 12:22 AM

Default Re: Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

[ QUOTE ]

1. The books are not about how the world works. We all realize this isn't how the world works. The books are about how the world should work.

2. Atlas shrugged is not about getting out of anybody's way and letting them run things. And a major point, if not the major point, is that these people should look out for their own self interest. Everyone should. This is not a problem that is ignored by the philosophy. It is the cornerstone of it.

I'm not arguing the validity of the philosophy, just your take on the books seemed a little off. Maybe it was just the way you communicated it, or maybe I misunderstood what you were saying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I realize that Ayn Rand was espousing her view of how the world ought to be. I didn't communicate it that well, and I wrote the wrong title in there somewhere. Anyway, I just felt that the whole philosophy was terribly elitist and somewhat juvenile. The Fountainhead seemed much more tolerable to me because it seemed to describe what she thought people should aspire to. That's fine. Atlas Shrugged just seemed far too absolute to me and I really didn't think her views worked in a larger, cultural/social sense. They seemed better applied on a smaller, more personal level.

To me, it was the same problem that communism had - sure it would be nice if everyone worked for the state and the whole of society functioned together. Obviously, not going to happen. It would be nice also if people all apsired to be great in the way Howard Roark is so that everyone's self-interest summed up to benefit the collective group - also, not going to happen.
Old 10-29-2005, 03:06 AM

I enjoyed it. Well, until she found the "colony" (Don't want to reveal too much). THen it got boring and i quit it.
Old 10-29-2005, 06:02 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
I listened to the Odyssey on tape and it was excellent. No difficulties with the hard to pronounce words that slow down your enjoyment of the story. I highly recommend it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read the Odyssey in high school and remembered liking it. Which is why I got it with the Iliad as a set. It's not hard to follow but imo, the Iliad sucked. I found the story behind it and the history of translations more interesting than the story itself.

b