Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2005, 01:42 AM

Default Re: Discussion about poker for a living

[ QUOTE ]

OK so it's not saving lives but it is more valuable than a large number of jobs IMHO... for example I'm not sure that being business lawyer (who is mainly a transactional cost on the local economy) is really any more beneficial..

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, lawyers are creating the transactional costs, not helping reduce them. I get it now -- my contracts course is all just bulls--- and I should start wearing hemp and talking about the corporations killing the world.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:51 AM

yes, $18.50 without, I was conservative on the bonus and rakeback front as well.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:36 AM

'Also kudos on calling me articulate while posting a quote than not only included a horrible typing error also involved me using completely the wrong word. Fixed here to save embrassment. '

'Embrassment'? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2005, 08:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

OK so it's not saving lives but it is more valuable than a large number of jobs IMHO... for example I'm not sure that being business lawyer (who is mainly a transactional cost on the local economy) is really any more beneficial..

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, lawyers are creating the transactional costs, not helping reduce them. I get it now -- my contracts course is all just bulls--- and I should start wearing hemp and talking about the corporations killing the world.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, this looks like it's going to be a fun discussion! Why do you have to pass the bar to 'be a lawyer'? You don't have to pass a test to be a garbageman - people only hire you if you can do a good job. And now why do you have to graduate from an acreditted law school to even sit for the bar? Total and complete rent creation to screw the consumer.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, I played poker this summer to support myself. I started grad school this fall, so there was no real need for me to get a real job just for the summer. I would suggest trying to improve and move up. It is more fun when you can make $50/hr and only have to "work" a few hours a day.

[ QUOTE ]

Is there a downside to playing poker this summer instead of working?

[/ QUOTE ]

So, you are currently in law school? I would think that working some kind of internship (atleast volunteer) would do more for you career than poker. I think having a career related summer job and playing poker in the evening would be a better plan. Not sure how the job/internship situation works in NZ though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree. I played basically to support myself through the second half of freshman year in college last year and through the summer. I had a summer job as well but I made 1600 in the summer from online play at the 25NL. Thing is I really don't enjoy playing half the time now. Part of that probably is because I've moved up to 100NL and its a little more excruciating going through downswings when it's your only source of income, but alot of it is in the volume of play. What I've found is that in high volume of play it's easier to get caught in ruts with small leaks that become costly so be careful of that.

Also, that winrate is quite high. I had 15PTBB/100 after a 12k hands and thought I was superman but it was down to 12 by 15k hands. Might have dipped lower if I didn't move up in stakes.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, that winrate is quite high. I had 15PTBB/100 after a 12k hands and thought I was superman but it was down to 12 by 15k hands. Might have dipped lower if I didn't move up in stakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to explain this? You're beating the 100's for a higher winrate than the 25's?

I did this for a week and thought I was superman, but... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2005, 09:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to explain this? You're beating the 100's for a higher winrate than the 25's?

I did this for a week and thought I was superman, but... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

oh no, naturally my winrate fell when I moved up. just saying that as I was playing more hands at a given level the inflated winrate for that level was tending to drop to a more normal figure over time. regression to the mean if you will
Old 10-14-2005, 10:54 AM

got to confess to not reading all the replies but here is my take:
ive done it now 2 summers in a row and you have to do it. Last summer in terms of money it was no where near as good as i was hoping, picked up about $4000 playing the $200 sitdowns. I had a break even month in august which really halted me. but anyways, it was great. whenever anyone wanted to go out or whenever people wanted to go on a weekend away or if i wanted to stay in bed till midday (which is a big plus), i had all the freedom while making a nice amount, and yes there are frustrating days but hey, there are in any job. You can pick and choose how much to work, when to work etc. I wouldnt like to do it as a full time job, but i think its excellent for us students.

seriously, i cant big it up enough, the one crucial thing is make sure you are confident with your game. The first summer i did it, looking back i didnt have the mental side or the game to do it, this summer im so in control of my game, never go on tilt, just sit back, listen to music or watch sport on tv and play some cards. enjoy it.