Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 10-10-2005, 08:17 PM

Default Angleshot or not?

I really didn't know what I was doing, it was pretty spontaneous:

Live MTT, $300 buy in. I am in the 9 seat. Guy in the 1 seat has been very aggressive building a stack and bullying. Its about the third level. I have had few good hands.

I double up through the bully with KQ on a flop of K-K-6, and he bets all the way with pocket 99.

A couple hands later I get K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in the BB. 4 callers to me and I raise. Only the bully stays to play. Now I have him covered. Flop J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] I make about 1/2 the pot bet, he calls. Turn: J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I don't like the board now and check, and surprisingly given his aggression he checks behind me. River is the fairly fantastic K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

So I have the big boat and go all in and he goes in the tank. Since he would have called instantly with QT [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] I'm sure I have the best hand. So I say pretty aggressively "LAY IT DOWN" which prompts him to call, lose with the Q high flush and go bust in the tournament.

I thought about it later and think I'd be pretty ticked if I was on his side of things. So did I shoot an angle here or does this qualify as some "all in good fun" trashtalking. What does TDA say????
Old 10-10-2005, 08:19 PM

Default Re: Angleshot or not?

neh nothing wrong with that
Old 10-10-2005, 08:22 PM

That's a psychological ploy, not an angle shoot. It's not like you divulged any information about your hand. Way to get his chips into the pot.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:31 PM

Don't be so quick to think this isn't violating a rule. According to the Tournament Directors Association:

[ QUOTE ]
Verbally disclosing the contents of your hand or advising a player how to play a hand may result in a penalty.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could easily be penalized for this if the tournament director strictly interpreted that rule.