Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2005, 02:50 PM

Default Playing a set at loose table

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, Hero calls, MP calls.

Flop: (12 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls, SB calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

The table tends to be very loose preflop, with lots of flops seen for 2 bets 4-way.

I don't have specific notes on the SB.

Thoughts on the overall line taken?

River: (11.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 15.50 BB
Old 09-15-2005, 03:13 PM

Default Re: Playing a set at loose table

I'd rather checkraise the flop, and given your line, 3bet the turn.

Edit: I misread the flop action, sorry. I'd bet the flop as well.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:17 PM

How sure are you that MP will bet...after SB checks I lead the flop and 3 bet the turn.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:18 PM

Why skip 3-betting the turn to get in a river raise? I don't like it. 3-bet the turn and call down if he caps.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:20 PM

I don't like the preflop 3bet, unless you know villain raises very, very light (for 3/6). I'd call and encourage the limper to call along since I'm looking for a favorable flop.

As it went I 3bet the turn - if he's on a flush draw, pair+FD, TT, AQ, etc he'll pay them all off, while he won't pay off a river raise with missed draws and possibly something like TT. Waiting for the river is better if we are against an aggressive opponent with a strong hand (but not a monster) and we want to avoid being 3bet by worse hands. On the turn your hand is a monster so get the bets in while he may still want to reraise with AA or KK.

Surf
Old 09-15-2005, 03:21 PM

I think you should 3-bet the turn. Look at it like this, you are heads-up when SB-raises the turn. If you call and put in 2BB on the river you will have put in the same amount as if you 3-bet the turn and he calls and then check-calls the river. But if he has a big draw, AA, KK or something to go wild with on the turn you get a lot more bets in. It will of course suck if he has JJ or QQ or draws out on you but then it always does.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:59 PM

I'd 3-bet this turn and if capped, just call a bet on the river, unless you make quads obviously. I think TT, KK, AA, and even AQ might play as villain did and a 3-bet is in order on the turn.