Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 08-07-2005, 05:09 PM

Default Wireless Router - Which one?

Out of these, which should I get? My friend told me to get Wireless-G and not Wireless-B, but that's about all I know.

-- Thanks, Homer
Old 08-08-2005, 02:56 AM

Default Re: Wireless Router - Which one?

Your link is broken for me, but I got one of these and it has worked out really well.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:45 AM

Pretty much everyone I know has a Linksys
Old 08-08-2005, 02:41 PM

Because Linksys is the bottom of the barrel in terms of prices. Most people don't get anything more expensive because they don't need it.

Go with Linksys, or Netgear. They're both competitors in the budget market for networking devices, I've just had better support with Netgear and like their router management interface better.

Whatever you get, make sure it supports 802.11g. Anything that supports 802.11g is backwards compatible to 802.11b, but it's a world of difference 54mbps and 11mbps.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:14 PM

Whatever you do, stay away from Belkin. I got a 802.11b router for free after rebate and it's probably the most expensive free item I've ever received. Zero range and frequent disconnects. I had to buy $20 of ethernet cable to hardwire the apartment afterwords.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:55 AM

Thanks all. I ended up getting a Linksys, the one Nottom recommended. I had to deviate from the Wizard a few (hundred) times, but after about 40 minutes, I'm wireless, baby!
Old 08-09-2005, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks all. I ended up getting a Linksys, the one Nottom recommended. I had to deviate from the Wizard a few (hundred) times, but after about 40 minutes, I'm wireless, baby!

[/ QUOTE ]That's an awesome router. There are a lot of versions of linux cracked firmware for it that you can do some great things with.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]That's an awesome router. There are a lot of versions of linux cracked firmware for it that you can do some great things with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any links so I could read up on the sorts of things that can be done?

I'm probably pushing my luck by messing around with it at all, considering that it works fine at the moment.

-- Homer
Old 08-09-2005, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Any links so I could read up on the sorts of things that can be done?

I'm probably pushing my luck by messing around with it at all, considering that it works fine at the moment.

-- Homer

[/ QUOTE ]Sveasoft is a commercial firmware update for $20/year. I hear they have pretty good support for it. A list of their features can be found here. Figure out how to get it up and running here.

There are some free firmware updates like Wi-Fi Box. There's good discussion on getting it up and running as well as features here.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:37 PM

I spent alot of time at Linksys Info this week before I returned mine and bought a Netgear.

Lots of discussion on the various firmwares and whatnot.