Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2005, 02:34 PM

Default Re: Is this straight draw worth calling until the river?

[ QUOTE ]
why are you calling this hand? what is your SN?

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG everyone just relax. Hero has a well concealed double GS with no dirty outs and great position to stack off Villain if he connects. If Villain had hero covered calling the flop would be 100% correct IMO.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Relax people. He had 31BBs which is like 930 at level 2 in a party SnG. Loose? Maybe. Horrible? No.

That's being said, I'd probably push on the flop.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:38 PM

I don't see why everyone hates seeing the flop here. He's got the stack to do it and there are other significant stacks in the hand as well. What is so bad about seeing a flop cheaply with a hand that plays well multi-way, high implied odds, and good position?
Old 05-24-2005, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Since just about everyone thinks this was a horrible play, my thoughts on playing it:

Preflop - I am the chip leader. I like hands like this in multiway pots, and have yet to play such a situation this game. For those of you who don't play pokerstars, there is a TON of time before blinds start to nearly threaten my stack - 200/400 level in over 20 minutes. SB and BB dont really raise much, so i expect to see this flop. I would fold to a RR.

Flop - I have an open ended st8 draw which is hard to see, increasing my implied odds. busting someone when it hits would make my stack VERY nice entering bubble play. I feel that SB will call also, he is VERY loose (was the 3rd to call an all in on level 1 w 66, the board flushed, so they split it)...I like my odds here.

Note - granted a 9 makes JQ the better st8, but I doubt BB would raise w that, and SB is just so bad so far I put him on just about nothing.

Turn - yeah, prob not the best call, but not horrible IMO. I dont figure him for trip 4s and certainly not a boat, yet at least.

Both short stacks busted the next hand and I went on taking first during 200/400....
Old 05-24-2005, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting move...I like the aggression.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its interesting until you realize that Phil would push a gutshot there. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-24-2005, 02:53 PM

I wouldn't call this an open end straight draw. You have a double gut draw, where a 5 would make you the nut, but not the 9. Don't think you can count all your outs here. With the turn your done.
In my opinion, you would be better off raising at this level. You add FE to the number of times you hit. Even a miniraise (which I normally hate) will normally put you in charge of the hand. Better chance it will be checked to you on the flop. Standard continuation bet makes even top pair weak kicker lay down if there still playing weak tight. Just a few more ways to win the hand.

Later,
Rick
Old 05-24-2005, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its interesting until you realize that Phil would push a gutshot there. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Only against someone like Scuba who would lay down middle set.

Seriously, depending on my read, I would push. I would never call. The villian just doesn't have enough chips to make drawing worthwhile.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't call this an open end straight draw. You have a double gut draw, where a 5 would make you the nut, but not the 9. Don't think you can count all your outs here. With the turn your done.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling the Weak Tight Police...calling the Weak Tight Police...

Do you think the QJ fairy's in this pot waiting to bust hero for calling with *gasp* the potentially wrong straight on this board, or do you think that the 4 pairing means that if a 5 or 9 were to come on the river Hero has any significant chance of losing to a full house? Both? Can I interest you in this rock that keeps tigers away?

edit: I fold PF because if I see this kind of flop I have to checkraise it and that's potentially a bad thing for my stack.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling the Weak Tight Police...calling the Weak Tight Police...

Do you think the QJ fairy's in this pot waiting to bust hero for calling with *gasp* the potentially wrong straight on this board, or do you think that the 4 pairing means that if a 5 or 9 were to come on the river Hero has any significant chance of losing to a full house? Both? Can I interest you in this rock that keeps tigers away?

edit: I fold PF because if I see this kind of flop I have to checkraise it and that's potentially a bad thing for my stack.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was simply pointing out that it's differant than an open ended, and might want to consider them differant. Nothing more. As for when the 4 fell, the hand ends there. Someone's stack should be in the middle before the river. No way am I simply calling a bet on that turn. If you are simply chasing the double gutshot straight on a paired board while calling a 3/4 pot bet on the flop and a "decent" size bet on the turn, you are making a mistake. Weak tight my ass. You flat called this guys bet on the flop. He's shown weakness with the bet on the turn. Depending on my read, I'm probably pushing here. He has to have a real hand to call. And if he does, I do have outs.

Calling all the way to the river on a double gutshot straight draw on a paired board is simply wrong. If you are simply going to chase with position with this hand, fold preflop, and wait for a place to push.

Later,
Rick