Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2005, 03:38 PM

Default help on the turn

Villain just sat down and had only seen 6 hands. Should I 3 bet this turn?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>.

Flop: (5.33 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls.

Turn: (3.66 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.66 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 9.66 BB
Old 02-03-2005, 03:41 PM

Default Re: help on the turn

No, nice river bet. What was your plan on the river if it was a red card? What if you get raised in either situation?
Old 02-03-2005, 04:00 PM

If I got raised I was going to frown and call, expecting to see two pair or a set. But I think I am good enough of the time to warrant calling (AT, etc)

My thought on his raising the 9 was either: He hit his A kicker, he picked up a draw, he is overplaying a bad ace. He may have been on a diamond flush draw with the 9 and made a pair, or he may have picked up the heart flush draw with the J of hearts. Its hard to peg either one.

Given this range of holdings, I think I am going to be good a reasonable amount of time on the river if a red card hits that I would probably still bet out. Not sure this is right though, and thoughts are appreciated.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:04 PM

I would tend to think you played this hand pretty well. I have observed that a lot of players like to get aggressive against PF raisers when Aces flop. They raise thinking "if this guy has AK he will 3bet me (so i can fold), but if he calls then I am winning!!!!!!!!*insert fish noise here*" So that could be the case here. Or he could have a legit hand that is better than yours - either way, I say avoid the 3bet.

I like your line on the river though, due to the very draw heavy board.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, nice river bet. What was your plan on the river if it was a red card? What if you get raised in either situation?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is this a nice river bet? If he was bluffing on the turn, he will fold to this bet, but may continue bluffing if you check. He will raise you with a better hand and I want to show this down so I can't fold. If he raised the turn with a worse Ace he will probably bet the river.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:14 PM

With that board I feel it is more likely that it was a semibluff on the turn rather than a purebluff - not too many players choose to purebluff a board like that against a PF raiser. As such I feel there is a good chance you get called by a worse hand from someone looking for a free showdown.