Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2005, 06:20 AM

Default Flopping the sucker straight .50/1

Did I misplay this hand? When should I have slowed down? I had no reads.
[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (13 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, CO calls, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, CO folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls.

Turn: (13.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, Hero calls.

River: (20.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 22.50
Old 01-21-2005, 06:54 AM

Default Re: Flopping the sucker straight .50/1

problem is JQ is a common hand to see flop in early position. 67s is ok for flop, not great.

with the kind of resistance you saw you could have backed off earlier. Did you know what hands you were up against or were you just playing your own cards?
Old 01-21-2005, 08:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
problem is JQ is a common hand to see flop in early position. 67s is ok for flop, not great.

with the kind of resistance you saw you could have backed off earlier. Did you know what hands you were up against or were you just playing your own cards?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a better flop than you think. There's only 32 possible hole hands out of 1326 that can beat you before the riv. Any set will give you action like that too. I think he played the hand fine. Rainbow board, no pairs, it's not THAT dangerous. The worst the river can do is make someone chop with you,
Old 01-21-2005, 09:25 AM

The UG-1 was playing back hard. He played like he could beat a set. With that extra information the numerical probability is not as important. Why risk the extra even money BB's.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The UG-1 was playing back hard. He played like he could beat a set. With that extra information the numerical probability is not as important. Why risk the extra even money BB's.

[/ QUOTE ]

At these limits don't read too much into someone betting. For all you know he might try to protect his set from someone on a straight draw.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:35 AM

Agreed - A lot of people also bet/raise with nothing on the flop. UTG didn't show major strength until the turn 3-bet, at which point hero slowed down and called. I would've played it the same way.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, he was playing back VERY hard, I agree. If I was villain, that's how I'd play a set. Hell that's how I'd play a 2pair! There's 6 players in there, he's correct to raise and cap with ONLY an OESD, any J.

That's the problem playing against aggro's, you can't tell when they hit or how hard they hit so easily. Like I said, 32 hands that beat you. The guy is aggro, but we don't know how tight he is. He might be a total maniac for all we know, and you have a 2 card str8 with no flushes or boats in sight! I wouldn't be suprised to see TPTK ie AT, 2pair like T9s or TP with a OESD like JTs. AT KT AJ KJ A9 A8 98s 87s 77 88 99 TT JT T9 are all hands I'm expecting to see more often than exactly QJ or J7. How many hands is that? A lot more than 32. I'd say ANY str8 takes this pot most of the time.

And like verdi says, he could just be making you pay to draw with any piece of that flop. I still say the hand was played well.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:16 AM

He said he had no reads.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:25 AM

I play this exactly the same way. The only decision that I see as being close is whether or not to raise the turn; I wouldn't argue too much with somebody who just called down after Villian leads the turn.

Well done.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:42 AM

rainz-
first, welcome to the forums and i think you played the hand well.
in the future, to get unbiased opinions, avoid giving the impression that you lost the hand (or won). we try very hard to avoid being "results-oriented" - just because you lost a hand doesn't mean you necessarily should have slowed down at any point. just play out the hands in the best way possible, the money will come along. i personally think that is all but impossible to give honest analysis if we know a priori that you lost the hand. looking back, you can say "where oh where could i have slowed down?" or you can put us in your position of uncertainty while you were playing (by say, stopping the action after the turn 3-bet).
-t