Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 04:26 PM

Default Re: Does Greg have backers this time?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
he won a seat last year as well but sold "stock" in himself thus making David Williams the quote on quote big winner. Odds are Backers are going to leave you better off unless you cash pretty high and I guess Greg wasn't 100% confident in his tourney win, thus the backing. I doubt with all the money he won last year and has won, that he would need to back himself again. He might have been sponsored by PS as well if he didnt buy directly in.

[/ QUOTE ]

About the part in bold, given the nature of the backing deal he had in place, this is a really nonsensical statement, unless you are talking about him being backed this year, rather than last.

Of course, I'm pretty sure that he wasn't a hundred percent confident that he would win going into it...

--Zetack

[/ QUOTE ]

about the part in bold, I just assume the poster wasn't aware of all the details. especially that the backing agreement was not solely for the WSOP ME.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Greg has said that while Pokerstars gives him money to enter tournaments, he was playing the Double Shootouts so that he could win his way to the WSOP and thus use the Stars money on other tournaments that he wouldn't be able to simply win a double shoot out into.

He had been playing a number of them, so I've got to assume he won one.

[/ QUOTE ]

what he said. also, since fossilman is one of the names listed here, i assume he ended up winning an entry through stars.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:32 PM

I saw his name on the list of qualifiers on Stars this year(not direct buy-ins , so I assume he won via a double shootout most likely.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:39 PM

I was referring to last year. I don't want to be poignant but I mentioned David Williams as the big winner, atleast money wise because of this. I'm pretty sure all players, other than hot-head himself, Phil Hellmuth, don't think there going to win the tourney from the beginning. He backed himself because he thought backing was +EV, because he won the tourney it wasn't, but odds are he wasn't going to win with such a large field, thus the backing. I was really just pointing out the obvious. Noone is 100% confident in winning a title. If Raymer was, he wouldn't have been backed, correct? Just stating the obvious....
Old 07-11-2005, 04:41 PM

can you please share, i'm not the oldest 2+2 poster. what were the terms of the backing?

i only made the reference to why someone would back another player.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He won his seat on Stars last year as well, but the money he used was all part of a pool of money a large percentage of which was provided by his backers. His deal with his backers ended with last year's WSOP. If I recall correctly, it would have ended whether he moneyed or not. The main reason he asked for backers in the first place was that his bankroll had taken a hit. Presumably, flush with cash from his win, he's bankrolling himself as I believe he has indicated. On top of that, Stars pays some of his buy-ins as part of his compensation package as a representative of that site.

[/ QUOTE ]

this be exactly correct