Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2005, 09:29 PM

Default Heads-up NL vs a gambler

I was playing at a home poker game with about 8 friends. The game ended and then one of my buddies wanted to play me heads-up for $5. We agreed to play with 50 chips and blinds of 1/2. The blinds are a bit high, but it is heads-up. We played several matches. This guy was a real gambler and sometimes he would bet 10 chips without even looking at his cards. 1 or 2 times he would go all-in without seeing his cards.

I have a few questions. I am wondering what strategy I should use against my friend. There were several times where he would raise 10 chips, I would raise him all-in with a K6o and he would call me with some random hand. Is a kxo a strong enough hand to move all-in heads up? Assuming the other player could be holding any random hand? I assumed it was. What about Qx, keep in mind that he will most likely call me regardless of what he has, he just wants to see what I have.

The meat of my question is about the probabilites of Kx and Qx heads-up against a random hand.

Cheers,
Pots
Old 03-28-2005, 11:10 PM

Default Re: Heads-up NL vs a gambler

Here's a link that will give you comprehensive odds for playing K6o, Q9, 77, etc., etc. against "any two." The margins are messed up in this version, but all the info is there. Maybe someone else has a version with tidier margins.

http://www.cardplayeronline.com/html..._upholdem.html

K6o wins about 54% of the time. So if it's your only chance to take on Mr. Random, it's tempting. But if he's doing it habitually, wait for an Ace or two Broadway cards. You will get better odds.

In general, kickers matter a fair amount. Suitedness helps, as does a semblance of connectors. JT is a better hand than K7. Once you get past the true premium hands (TT or better pairs; AQ or better) you've got less than 2:1 odds in your favor. So it's hard to punish stupidity right away. Medium pairs play surprisingly well heads up. Even the most pitiful heads-up hand, 32o, has a 32% chance of winning.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:33 PM

Suited isn't very important heads up. Big connected cards are.

I won't go allin with K6o (nor K6s), but I sure as hell will with KTo or QJo or ANY two broadways in this position. Any pair, any two broadways against random hands... you'll crush them. I say any pair here because 22 is a race against anything except a larger pair. Although it happens (as we all know), it doesn't happen often.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:51 PM

Assuming I know how to use PokerStove.

Any broadway and any pair would be about a 66% favorite over a random hand.

K6o is only about a 55% favorite against a random hand.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:33 AM

I love the phrase "Broadway Straight"
I always thought it meant that your pocket ace completed an ace-high straight. Is there any more significance to the term than that?
Old 03-29-2005, 04:41 PM

broadway is just slang for an A high straight, like wheel is slang for a 5 high straight.