FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should we go?
I wouldnt attend this show if they gave me $50. 9 21.43%
Hell yeah, go to the show. 33 78.57%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-29-2005, 02:04 AM

Default Re: Would you follow this law?

[ QUOTE ]
Which is dumber, following a stupid law that nobody is likely to care about, or getting killed over a stupid law that wouldn't cost you anything to follow?

[/ QUOTE ]
Notice he said he'd do such things if he would be arrested for non-compliance.

[ QUOTE ]
And in the process killing several people who were only doing their jobs?

[/ QUOTE ]
I s'pose the Nazis were just "doing their jobs" too, right?

You're not one of the few who said they'd actually follow this law, were you?
Old 11-29-2005, 04:36 PM

Part and parcel of the Rule of Law system is that such laws could never be enacted.

So a respect for civil order would necessarily entail an understanding that it would be impossible for your hypothetical law to ever be there in the first place.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:56 PM

If I think a law is stupid I should not obey it? Who defines "stupid"? Are speed limit laws stupid? How about prostitution laws?

What if I thought I should be able to serve whomever I please in my place of business and should be able to refuse service to people based on their race, ethnicity, or religious views? What if I thought laws telling me otherwise were "stupid"?

When "stupid" becomes the standard for civil disobedience, anarchy is the result.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:08 PM

I don't pay much attention to most of the laws that are on the books now. I'm certainly not going to follow any new ones they come up with.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Years ago i had a certain arguement. Deep into it I (rhetorically) asked my opponent "If there was a law that said you must stand on your head for 1 minute at 12:00 noon everyday, would you follow it?" And to my suprise he emphatically replied "Yes." The arguement ended there, but still today i'm suprised at his response. so...

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] Sheep!!!! On the way to the slaughter
Old 11-29-2005, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When "stupid" becomes the standard for civil disobedience, anarchy is the result.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the idea.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:54 PM

What if the law was "You must shoot your first born child when they reach 5 years old." Are you going to follow that law? If not, why not? It's the law! [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2005, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What if the law was "You must shoot your first born child when they reach 5 years old." Are you going to follow that law? If not, why not? It's the law! [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

To follow an immoral law would be wrong. I would either fight to have it changed or move to a place that did not have laws that I could not follow.

We are talking about "stupid" as a criteria, not immoral. That is your answer if the question was serious.

If you are trying to be clever, I guess you need to try harder.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If I think a law is stupid I should not obey it? Who defines "stupid"? Are speed limit laws stupid? How about prostitution laws?

[/ QUOTE ]

Speed limit laws in theory are stupid. Road owners should be able to set whatever restrictions on their roads that they want. Since governments own most roads in practice, speed limit laws aren't really "dumb". Government ownership of roads, on the other hand, is dumb.

Prostitution laws are obviously just a case of some people wanting to tell other people what (not) to do.

[ QUOTE ]
What if I thought I should be able to serve whomever I please in my place of business and should be able to refuse service to people based on their race, ethnicity, or religious views? What if I thought laws telling me otherwise were "stupid"?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they are. Why should anyone be able to compell you to associate with anyone that you don't want to associate with?

Should there be laws requiring buyers to not discriminate against sellers? Hey, that purple guy on the corner wants to sell me some hot dogs, but I don't really feel like buying any right now. Unfortunately, an anti-discrimination law prevents me from refusing to do business with purple people. Why are buyers and sellers treated differently?

Should there be laws requiring you to be friends with anyone that wants to be your friend?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. When everyone does whatever they want without regard to anyone else, *chaos* is the result.

Anarchy is the result of people respecting freedom and enforcing natural rights.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. When everyone does whatever they want without regard to anyone else, *chaos* is the result.

Anarchy is the result of people respecting freedom and enforcing natural rights.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dictionary.com defines anarchy as:
1. Absence of any form of political authority.
2. Political disorder and confusion.
3. Absence of any cohesive principle, such as a common standard or purpose.

When highly subjective standards (such as stupid) are used to determine which laws will be followed by the citizenry, anarchy is the result.