Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2005, 03:20 PM

Default How could i have played this differently?

this was my third or fourth hand at the table, so no idea on how the table is.

Party Poker (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, CO checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB checks.

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, CO checks.

Turn: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, CO checks.

River: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Herbo bets, BB folds, MP1 calls, CO folds.

Final Pot: 4 BB

i wasnt really sure what i was going for on the flop. i guess c/c. is this a WA/WB spot? also, i didnt think leading the turn would do anything except fold everyone out. should i have tried a bet there anyway?
Old 08-20-2005, 03:59 PM

Default Re: How could i have played this differently?

You need to fix your preflop action, where are you at? I'm betting turn, probably checkraising flop. If you're CO and it's folded to you I'm raising ATC.
Old 08-20-2005, 04:04 PM

i was in the sb. hand converter wasnt working correctly, i had to add some of the info in.
Old 08-20-2005, 04:21 PM

Raise preflop. You've got 2 SBs in dead money and an ace...this should be automatic.

Bet the flop. Until someone says otherwise, your ace is good. If you get raised, call. People will raise with all kinds of weird stuff after a flop like this &amp; with nobody showing strength preflop.

Bet the turn. People will call with a flush draw. People will call with a pocket pair. People will call with a king, especially after you didn't raise preflop.

Bet the river. You nailed that one. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Seriously, though, not raising preflop in this situation is a big mistake. With nobody but a poster in the pot when it gets to you, that's the same as it being folded to you in the SB. I would hope that you automatically raise with any ace in that situation.
Old 08-20-2005, 05:13 PM

Sup,

1. Fix the pre-flop action to at least make it clear that MP1 limped in. That changes a lot of things.

2. Bet this flop. No one raised, and everyone who entered the pot entered either as a poster or with a limp. Big Aces, particularly in latish position, tend to come in for raises. Therefore, you can worry a little less than usual about being hit by a bigger A. If you're up against a 6, so be it, but don't worry about it yet. In a small pot 4-handed you should just go ahead and bet this for value.

2. Bet the turn. Anyone slow-playing a 6 will be pissed and feel sheepish but is probably going to call you down.

3. Bet the river. Done and Done.

I would be wary of over-applying the wa/wb idea. Basically, that is an idea best used in heads-up pots where you have a particular reason to believe your opponent might have a strong hand. Here, no one has suggested they have anything, and the pot is multiway. Play straightforwardly and hope that other opponents will call down with weakish holdings. It's sort of a tough situation, because is seems you'll only get played with by other As or 6s on the flop, but that's not really true. People take of cards with tons of crap.

Once the turn comes just bet your hand. At this point, you just have to hope someone has a hand.
Old 08-20-2005, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sup,

1. Fix the pre-flop action to at least make it clear that MP1 limped in. That changes a lot of things.

[/ QUOTE ]

Woops. My bad...that does make a PFR much less desirable.
Old 08-20-2005, 05:27 PM

yeah, sorry i cant edit my post anymore. bisonbison converter has been giving me major problems lately. also, thanks for summing it up so nicely Deranged. your posts have been helping me out a lot lately.
Old 08-20-2005, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sup,

[/ QUOTE ]

Woops. My bad...that does make a PFR much less desirable.

[/ QUOTE ]

harv, why is this an automatic raise, I've never thought of this before. do you do this with just one poster? and do you draw a line at where the poster posted?
Old 08-20-2005, 05:36 PM

Ax is a good hand against two random hands, I'd be raising this 3-way against two posters, and not only because if he's a CO or MP3 poster he showed weakness by not raising.
Old 08-20-2005, 05:59 PM

What brazilio said. For starters, if anyone posts in EP/MP, I just assume they're a donk until proven otherwise. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] But against what are basically two random hands in the poster &amp; BB, Ace high is usually the best hand preflop. Make 'em pay to draw out on you.