Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2005, 03:18 AM

Default Top pair on the flop, gets raised, what to do?

Hi,
BigBiz is the hero in this hand, I just saw this play happen. What should someone do in this situation. (if you're multitabling and haven't picked up the tendencies) Chip leader just doubled up by calling an all in with ACE/Queen off suit two hands ago ( he wans't in the blinds, someone raised all in)
NL Texas Hold'em $100 Buy-in + $9 Entry Fee Trny:17971060 Level:6 Blinds(100/200) - Sunday, December 04, 02:11:41 EDT 2005
Table Table 66955 (Real Money)
Seat 10 is the button
Total number of players : 7
Seat 1: shawbrother ( $1355 )
Seat 2: bigbiz_3 ( $1435 )
Seat 3: CLESteamON_U ( $40 )
Seat 4: SNokes ( $1570 )
Seat 5: jlkikly ( $865 )
Seat 7: PokerZo ( $3570 )
Seat 10: Dr_Tran ( $1165 )
Trny:17971060 Level:6
Blinds(100/200)
** Dealing down cards **
CLESteamON_U is all-In [40]
SNokes folds.
jlkikly folds.
PokerZo calls [200].
Dr_Tran folds.
shawbrother folds.
bigbiz_3 checks. (holds king-9 off suit)
** Dealing Flop ** [ Ks, 8h, 3c ]
bigbiz_3 checks.
PokerZo bets [360].
bigbiz_3 calls [360].
Old 12-04-2005, 03:26 AM

Default Re: Top pair on the flop, gets raised, what to do?

Your subject is wrong. You're not getting raised, he just bet. I think you need to lead out on the flop. You should be the one making that bet, not him.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:29 AM

sorry about that, too used to saying "raise" on everything.
it actually wasn't me, i was watching the game. how important is it to stay in the tourny and not risk going bust at this point? i know its wrong to keep checking it down when someone's all in but most of these single table sitNgoers do it, should i interpret a bet as strength?
Old 12-04-2005, 03:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
sorry about that, too used to saying "raise" on everything.
it actually wasn't me, i was watching the game. how important is it to stay in the tourny and not risk going bust at this point? i know its wrong to keep checking it down when someone's all in but most of these single table sitNgoers do it, should i interpret a bet as strength?

[/ QUOTE ]

it almost looks like the guy that bet 360 used a blocking bet. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

If I checked and villian bets 360, I'm going allin or folding, and probably pushing. I like betting first, though, on this flop.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:49 AM

There's still 7 players left, and the all-in guy has such a small amount I think he can be discounted. If the scenario was more threatening (e.g. all-in guy had more, and fewer players) you could more easily intpret the bet leading out as strength, but here it looks to be irrelevant.

This was a very good flop for K9o. If hero shows strength in the hand, a player behind will likely fold. If he plays passively, he will maximize against an aggressive opponent. Given the guy leading into him was the chip leader, makes the play more attractive. If he's behind, he'll lose no matter what he does. On this flop, a free card's not a big problem. His best chance to double up is probably to check/call and hope the other guy keeps firing.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:05 AM

I don't worry about knocking out the shorty here at all. There's plenty of money in the side pot and the shortstacked player is nowhere near being a threat. I believe the only effect that the all-in player has is that if a player folds he still has to show his hand down.