Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2005, 03:27 AM

Default ($6)AK 2 players all-in, what to do?

Should i call the two all-in bets when it gets back to me or just stay out of this situation all together when the blinds are small early in the tournament. with this action i think im behind to at least a pair or worse, AA KK...

Also should i have re-raised when the action first got to me? i thought i would call because i would have position and i didnt want to get too attached to the hand if i didnt catch anything... maybe that play is weak though. any thoughts? thanks.

PS why does the converter show the wrong pot values all of the time?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (9 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

UTG+1 (t975)
MP1 (t2155)
MP2 (t775)
MP3 (t730)
Hero (t740)
Button (t755)
SB (t405)
<font color="#C00000">BB (t925)</font>
<font color="#C00000">UTG (t540)</font>

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t80</font>, UTG+1 calls t80, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls t80, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls [t925] t15, UTG calls [t460] t80, UTG+1 folds, Hero folds.

Flop: (t262.50) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (t262.50) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t262.50) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t262.50
Old 12-18-2005, 03:59 AM

Default Re: ($6)AK 2 players all-in, what to do?

I would push with AK (first time around). Most of the time you'll win uncontested and increase your stack by 25% or so. Sometimes you'll get called by a hand you dominate (weaker Ace). Often you'll be called by a pair, but if it's not AA or KK, you're not in bad shape.

On calling the all-in, you have had odds to call. If you're against something like QQ and a smaller Ace you have about a 1 in 3 chance of winning. If against KK and QQ, a 25% chance. Against two pairs smaller than kings, a little better than 1 in 3. You're only in major trouble if someone has AA. However, it's a question if you want to risk your tournament early on. You'd still have quite a lot of chips left if you folded. I would tend to fold in this situation, as I think I would have a better chance of making the money by folding then by playing, but you could have avoided this quandry by pushing in the first place.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:10 AM

I would call the raise, and push the flop.
Shooby
Old 12-18-2005, 04:28 AM

thanks bud i will try to remember your advice for the future. The first player who went all in had AQ and the caller had 88 so i guess i would have had the pot odds you suggested in the first case you presented. I think perhaps it is worth risking the tournament on this one hand because when you win you are almost sure to finish ITM and there isnt alot of time to wait for perfect situations later on i suppose. maybe not worth it if stacks were deeper and this was a multitable tourney where you have more time and stuff. what you think?