Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 06:34 PM

Default Re: Easy fold or Too much in pot 20 40 at borgata

I really don't get why you raise the flop here with callers inbetween. You are making it easy for the BB to clear out the field when you have a drawing hand that wants customers. In this spot, it's very likely to be reraised so you are basically charging yourself to draw.

Jeff
Old 12-08-2005, 07:07 PM

Two things:

First...realize that when a player you describe bets into 6 opponents your flop raise is getting 3-bet almost always. So there's not as much value as it seems at first...and the only way you're getting a "free card" is by capping and even then not always.

Second...I'd say BB has an ace here (either AA or AQ) a little more than half of the time. UTG+1 I'd say almost always is raising an ace. So I think you could lay it down on the river.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:19 PM

Hi Jeff,

Wouldn't this move be correct since there are THREE callers, as opposed to say, one caller? Or the fact that the bet is done by SB into a large field, which oozes of 3-bet if raised, that the "free card" play be abandoned?
Old 12-09-2005, 04:05 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
First...realize that when a player you describe bets into 6 opponents your flop raise is getting 3-bet almost always. So there's not as much value as it seems at first...and the only way you're getting a "free card" is by capping and even then not always

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the board as to what the guy is betting into the field with. A 2-tone board could easily be a draw. This being a rainbow board, it can be more likely he has a hand at this point. Or a better draw than yours.

However, when he bets and there are 3 callers to you, it's still a pretty easy raise.

b
Old 12-09-2005, 11:21 AM

Bernie,

Even a draw is a draw like AK + flush or AJ + flush which also very well may 3-bet in this pot. So there really isn't as much value as it appears...that is...5-handed OESD. Not to mention a K will occasionally give him a second best hand and almost always be subject to redraws. I'm not saying it's really a bad raise. But I was just pointing out that the flop result of the raise will be a typical flop result...being BB 3-bets and 3 or maybe 4 if he's lucky see the turn. Plus...if it is a two toned board...that certainly doesn't help his equity. I don't think it's an easy raise. Not at all considering the benefit of a free card is almost never there. Not really bad but certainly not easy and I'd just call personally.

Chief
Old 12-09-2005, 11:55 AM

If you are going to veen consider putting money into this pot a three bet is far superior to a cold call. You would be cold calling for at best half the pot and this at least gives you a shot at the whole thing. I still wouldnt put any money in though.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are going to veen consider putting money into this pot a three bet is far superior to a cold call. You would be cold calling for at best half the pot and this at least gives you a shot at the whole thing. I still wouldnt put any money in though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, 3-betting intending to fold to a 4-bet is a terrific idea where people are much too passive on the river.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:20 PM

Thank you all for the advices. Three betting here never crossed my mind, I believe it to be too aggressive and a nine surely will call most of the time.

The other thing that gave me a glimpse of hope into calling was the fact that BB was running bad and slightly tilting, only slightly though.

On the other hand he showed such a strength of a AA or KK. I dont think he will three bet flop with AK. Most likely aces.

The UTG +1 seem to be on a draw and could easily play AJ or A10 the same way.

Anyway what happened was that BB showed KK (set of kings) and folded as UTG +1 showed the same hand as mine.