Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 11:27 AM

Default Multiway Pots at the Final Table

Since I am not a regular poster to this forum, I apologize if this is a recurring theme that I couldn't locate in a search...

On a recent trip to Vegas, I played in a $100 buy-in (effectively $100 -- $60 + one re-buy/add-on for $40) multi-table tournament with 70 players. $262K chips in play.

It is now seven-handed and we are all in the money (1st thru 3rd pay at least double what 6th or 7th gets). I am in BB with T27K, the #2 stack is on my left (UTG) with roughly T65K, big stack is CO with T80K+. Both big stacks have been playing fairly loose in the dozen or so hands we have played at the final table. I have played no hands at the table.

Blinds are at 3000/6000 and will go up to 4000/8000 before the blinds get around to me again (20 minute rounds).

UTG minraises to T12K, fold to CO who doubles it to T24K, button fold, SB (a fairly tight player with approx. T12K) goes all-in. I look down to find J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

Do you ever fold this or do you push and pray?
Old 11-28-2005, 11:45 AM

Default Re: Multiway Pots at the Final Table

IMO, you probably have the best hand right now, but my guess is that you would have to dodge a lot of stuff to come out unscathed.

If you felt that your push would push out the big stacks and leave you heads up, I think I would do it. However, it looks like, at best, you will only push out the initial raiser.

Also, there is at least a pretty good chance that you will make more money if the tight player is eliminated on this hand.

I lay this down, and hope I get a better situation. Your stack isn't great if you lay it down, but the chances are good you'll have a better spot than this.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:05 PM

i'm going to disagree with the other response. i think you're so short stacked at this point, particularly when the blinds go up and you ony have an M of 2, that you have to play this and hope for the best. you very well may have the best hand, and you could potentially triple up and get yourself right back in the mix. if you fold, are you really going to have a better opportunity in the next 2 orbits?

not an ideal situation, but one you have to play IMO. big stacks will have to call... just hope he has 99 or AJ.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:30 PM

I would push here if the SB accidentally flipped up A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] before I acted.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:36 PM

it took me two or three minutes before i realized T27K and T65K were stack sizes and not omaha hands...

anyways, i push. with blinds that high and a pot that huge, i don't see how you could possibly fold.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:53 PM

you have 27K, blinds at 6000. tight player allin for 12K. 24k bet to you. easy push. your not going to get many better opportunities than this especially since blinds are going up shortly to 8000. tight player also has to play any marginal hands since he is very close to being blinded out. even if the tight player has a monster hand you can still win the side pot with the LAG, and you probably are ahead of the tight (desperate) player also.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you felt that your push would push out the big stacks and leave you heads up, I think I would do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It wouldn't push out the second raiser -- my all-in would only be 3K more than his raise (I had 27K before posting the blinds).

[ QUOTE ]
Also, there is at least a pretty good chance that you will make more money if the tight player is eliminated on this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would also make more money if we were both eliminated together since she would get seventh and I would get sixth.

[ QUOTE ]
Your stack isn't great if you lay it down, but the chances are good you'll have a better spot than this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this true? If I lay this down and I don't get a hand in the SB, I will have 18K remaining. The odds are I won't get a hand better than JJ in the next five or six hands -- will I get a better situation? I don't know.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it took me two or three minutes before i realized T27K and T65K were stack sizes and not omaha hands...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooops -- sorry about that -- pretty bad Omaha hands...
Old 11-28-2005, 01:09 PM

not pushing here would be absolutely criminal.

you have 4.5 BBs!!! you have the fourth best hand in holdem! excitedly push all your chips in the pot and then stare at the other players with a greedy gleam in your eyes.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
not pushing here would be absolutely criminal.

you have 4.5 BBs!!! you have the fourth best hand in holdem! excitedly push all your chips in the pot and then stare at the other players with a greedy gleam in your eyes.

[/ QUOTE ]

here is a little more to contemplate: Players were being eliminated at a very rapid pace and big stacks were going to war with each other. We lost our first three players (including the initial chip leader) in the first ten hands of the final table... I was pretty certain I could blind my way up to at least fifth...