Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2005, 05:30 PM

Default K9o on T98 flop

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, CO calls, Button folds, SB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, CO calls, SB folds, Hero calls.

River: (7.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>

Villians are all loose idiots. 60/5/1 the lot of them. Good line?

Krishan - 77
Old 10-03-2005, 05:52 PM

Default Re: K9o on T98 flop

I dont like it. You're WA/WB on the river, and there's no chance to folding a better hand (with the slender exception of A9). You also run into a sticky situation if somebody gets fancy and raises you.

On the other hand, by check-calling, you induce any busted draw to bet, as well as worse 9s. You can also get a call from the CO on a marginal holding like a worse middle pair, or bottom pair, whereas he might not have overcalled if you bet and the MP calls first.

Your line only has merit where you are ahead of hands that will call, but you think the river will get checked through if you check. This is pretty rare. If MP checks a busted draw in this situation, the CO will often bet himself, given the show of weakness from you and MP.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:11 PM

I think I like it.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's been a while.

i'd be tempted to bet the flop though... is that too much?
Old 10-03-2005, 06:17 PM

I like it
Old 10-03-2005, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think I like it.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's been a while.

i'd be tempted to bet the flop though... is that too much?

[/ QUOTE ]

that was my first instinct too, but I think Id ratehr check and see waht happens. That way if it goes bet/raise to us we can just fold on the flop. And I wouldnt want to bet and then have someone raise and have to calldown since they might just have a J.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:19 PM

yeah, ok i like it. i also feel like a sucker having the lead when the turn is a 7/J/6/Q
Old 10-03-2005, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I dont like it. You're WA/WB on the river, and there's no chance to folding a better hand (with the slender exception of A9). You also run into a sticky situation if somebody gets fancy and raises you.

On the other hand, by check-calling, you induce any busted draw to bet, as well as worse 9s. You can also get a call from the CO on a marginal holding like a worse middle pair, or bottom pair, whereas he might not have overcalled if you bet and the MP calls first.

Your line only has merit where you are ahead of hands that will call, but you think the river will get checked through if you check. This is pretty rare. If MP checks a busted draw in this situation, the CO will often bet himself, given the show of weakness from you and MP.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly. With respect to the other better players who answered differently. I can't even see this as being close. Seems like a text book check to induce bluff only a better hand will call but a worse hand will bet.
I would like to hear your explanation for betting the river.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly. With respect to the other better players who answered differently. I can't even see this as being close. Seems like a text book check to induce bluff only a better hand will call but a worse hand will bet.
I would like to hear your explanation for betting the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

The basic idea is the second T protects me from being raised by a worse hand as I could definitely have a weak T here. Weaker hands may view the T as a scare card and check behind when they would have called a bet. My kicker is very good also.

Krishan - 80
Old 10-04-2005, 09:05 AM

Against loose idiots, I like that line. Most of the time, you will see a river call or two by Q9, J9, 98, 97, Q8, J8, 87, and 77. These hands may not bet behind you. If, on the other hand, you are against tighter players, a check is much better.