Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2004, 07:23 PM

Default scare card on the turn

I have a question about a NLH hand i recently played online. Either the people involved had sat down recently or i hadnt been paying attention because i didnt have any specific information on either of their playing styles, and therefore assumed they were typical players during the hand.

Preflop: i was chip leader (approx $820) for the game and limped ($2) from early position with 4c 4d, three others limped behind me, the sb raised to $10, and i along with 2 of the other limpers called.

Flop: It came down 2h 4s 8s. The sb bet $39, and i briefly considered slowplaying because the guy to my left had a decent stack, as did the small blind, but i decided with that board i should play it fast and try to get heads up all in right away with the small blind who hopefully held an overpair. So i raised to $80, and the guy to my left immediately called, as did the small blind.

Turn: The turn brought a nasty looking 9s, the sb checked to me. They each had about $150 left in their stacks and the pot was now about $280. What should i do???

The way they both called a big bet on the flop made me think there was a good chance the spade on the turn completed a flush for one of them, but with a big pot like this i figured i was getting approx 3:1 from the pot to play against one of them for $150 more, and the chance that i was either ahead now or could fill up on the river seemed to indicate that i should move all in. I realize that i was not terribly likely to get a call from a worse hand or a fold from a better hand, so perhaps i should check and try to induce a bluff from that last player, but then i thought that since i was going to play anyway it seemed like i should set them all in now in case it should get checked around and one of them held a lone spade and the 4th one was to come on the river.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated
Old 06-20-2004, 10:10 PM

Default Re: scare card on the turn

This is a really interesting hand. I think the way it plays out depends on your image. If you are percieved as a loose, fast, action guy who will play draws aggressively, it's possible that that card also scared the crap out of the other two guys in the pot. This could lead one of them to throw away an overset maybe (8s), although i seriously doubt that happening. Furthermore, some very disciplined players would throw away their baby flushes (although, again, I doubt it). I think pushing all your money in here, even if they call, is probably ok, because, as you said, you have a redraw, and a decent chance of pairing the board or hitting a case 4. Also, it's possible these guys have something like an overpair (due to their preflop action) and were also scared of the flush. They might call, and you would have them dominated. I hope this helps. I would like to see other people's takes on this hand as well. Also, i'd be curious to hear some results too. Thanks, Andrew