Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 03:40 PM

Default Re: What is the difference betwwen these two scenarios?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Right, the same way that a bunch of government-sponsored thugs will extract money from you if you don't pay child support, or kidnap you if you rob a bank?

[/ QUOTE ]

When you rob a bank, you are initiating force against another. When you refuse to pay taxes, you're resisting the government's initiation of force against you.

Is shooting someone in cold blood the same as shooting someone that's attacking you with an axe?

[/ QUOTE ]

So are you saying that because you don't agree with a law, you have the right to break it?

I'm sure NAMBLA would love you.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:06 PM

Default Re: A Country Without Taxes = Dead Country

[ QUOTE ]
If a country does not have taxes then it will eventually die…..probably by an invasion by a neighboring totalitarian regime. This is history talking…..not me.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are ways of buying defense services without forced taxation (insurance and financial vehicles). It's a need just like anything else, and the market can fill it.

Food is a very important need, probably more important than defense, yet people can see that there's no need to nationalize its production and delivery.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So are you saying that because you don't agree with a law, you have the right to break it?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. I am, however, definitely saying that laws are not inherently sacred and unquestionable.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure NAMBLA would love you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good tactic. If you can't match your opponent, call him a child molester.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:18 PM

pvn,

Who pays for it then? How do the services differ for those who choose to pay and those who do not? If everyone but me agreed to pay for defense, how is another country going to invade my property but not yours? What about when more people wise up and stop paying?

This is much different than food. If I don't get food, I starve. I can't stop paying for food and still be fed by others.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:19 PM

The difference is, you'll go to jail if you evade #1 but you'll be a hero if you evade #2.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:23 PM

BTW, I noticed that the picture on your icon appears to be that of a soldier.

Do you also believe that taxation for the purpose of paying for military expenditures/adventures is theft as well?
Old 11-29-2005, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Scenario 2) Someone breaks into my house and steals my bankroll. The money is donated to the local school for the benefit of the whole community.

[/ QUOTE ]

Robber 1: Hey man, you sure these people are on vacation?
Robber 2: Yes, I'm sure.
Robber 1: And you can bypass the alarm?
Robber 2: Yeah, don't worry about it. I'm telling you this is gonna be our biggest score yet.
Robber 1: Man, I can't wait to donate this money.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
pvn,

Who pays for it then? How do the services differ for those who choose to pay and those who do not? If everyone but me agreed to pay for defense, how is another country going to invade my property but not yours? What about when more people wise up and stop paying?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good question. I would add what if one person has all or a vast majority of the money? What if he says he'll pay for the protection of all, and if not he'll let the others invade? What if he decides that his money equals power and wants control over those with no wherewithal to stop him?
What if he uses his money for a propaganda campaigns?

PVN is right, anarcho-capitalist isn't a utopia. It's a dystopia. I'd much rather submit to the government "gun to my head" than to the invisible hand grasping dollar bills and wiping the greed-induced drool from his invisible lips.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:30 PM

I work at a VA hospital. I can guarantee you that there are ways in which tax dollars do a lot of good. The idea that a complex society can be run without some form of taxation is naive.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I work at a VA hospital. I can guarantee you that there are ways in which tax dollars do a lot of good. The idea that a complex society can be run without some form of taxation is naive.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why stop at the VA hospital, why not nationalize all hospitals? And banks... and oil companies... The money will be used for good!