Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 01:00 PM

Default Am I overplaying KK?

3/5 NL at Potawatomi. Hero is UTG+1. Button is one of the better players at the table, but I've only been at the table for 45 minutes. MP1 is mostly loose-passive asian guy. Hero and button both have about $900 stacks.

Hero raises on KK to $25. MP1 calls. Button re-raises to $75. Hero re-raises to $200. MP1 folds. Button calls.

Flop is T T 6 rainbow. Hero bets $300.

Thoughts?
Old 11-16-2005, 01:22 PM

Default Re: Am I overplaying KK?

I like, I think I like it even more if you have a LAGGY image as you'll get action from JJ/QQ enough to make it worth your while when you run into AA. But, maybe I bet 1/2 pot as its still a significant bet, but allows someone with 88-99 to think you may have AK?
Old 11-16-2005, 01:27 PM

If villain is on of the better players at the table, dont u htink he is capable of raising here with a smaller PP, if he thinks you have AK?
I mean, if you are willing to go all-in on the flop, then thats perfect, but if you are not, then that puts you in a tough spot.
I played a similar hand a few days ago when i 3-bet pf with KK , checked JJ3r flop, check-raised all in on a 7 turn and got called by TT.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:38 PM

i know how the story goes. button's got aces, so sad. lol
Old 11-16-2005, 02:14 PM

i went back and forth on this as i was writing it (and just added this at the top now that im through), and surely think your line is just fine. but if it was me...

i'd risk it... check the flop, hope to get it all in over the top if he bets it, and deal with it if he has the aces and/or takes a free card and spikes an ace if he has AK or a dumb AQ.

from his range to re-raise preflop and then just call a 3bet: AA 6 ways, KK 1 way, QQ 6 ways, JJ 6 ways, AK 8 ways - i'd say we're safe to 2 outs 12 ways (QQ,JJ) which he should bet for us on the flop, we're risking 3 outs 8 ways (AK) which he may or may not bet for us, and we're dead to AA 6 ways (and lose a little more money this way than if we played it slower).

i just wouldnt want to slow him down if he has QQ or JJ, and let him bet at us (hoping we have AK) to try to get more money out of him.

part of this here for me is the read you have - is he tricky enough to just call the 3bet preflop with AA... or is he too abc to do that and did he peg himself to QQ/JJ here? assuming the latter, i'd try to extract a little more from QQ/JJ.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:29 PM

I'm a big fan of this line. Some creative thinking may help OOP. Its not particulary unusual for a player to check a paired board, but its very difficult for Button to escape when he sees two checks.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:58 PM

You could also under-bet the pot on the flop... shows weakness on your part. Classic "I have AK tell"

If you sell the underbeat... he'll move in on you with almost any pair... maybe even AK.

If he has Aces... oh well.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:00 PM

Checking paird fflop and checkraising allin/bet,3bet allin on turn, i think wins u the most when ur ahead..if he aces...suckout.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:29 PM

Results and thoughts for me hidden below:

<font color="white"> He stared for awhile, then asked if I could beat queens. I said nothing, but may have had a hard time suppressing relief, (I don't play a lot of live NL) and he folded.

My thought afterword is that I should have tried to string along QQ and JJ a little better. I rarely underbet the pot, so I think the check-raise option fits my style best.

So, are y'all mostly saying that if I'm up against aces, I'll just have to accept losing my stack? What if he 4-bets me all-in pre-flop? </font>
Old 11-16-2005, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

He stared for awhile, then asked if I could beat queens. I said nothing, but may have had a hard time suppressing relief, (I don't play a lot of live NL) and he folded.

So, are y'all mostly saying that if I'm up against aces, I'll just have to accept losing my stack? What if he 4-bets me all-in pre-flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are very few players I'm laying down KK to preflop. I have to be really deep stacked, have a ton of respect for the guy, AND know that he is a super rock.