Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Why, primarily, do you play online poker?
To make money 209 78.57%
To learn new things 7 2.63%
For entertainment 24 9.02%
To escape problems in my life 4 1.50%
For self-esteem 1 0.38%
I am a gambling addict 9 3.38%
I don't know 8 3.01%
Other 4 1.50%
Voters: 266. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-29-2005, 04:42 PM

Default Re: Greatest War Movie of All Time - Elite Eight

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All the remaining movies are worthy, but if I was to pick the best of the best war films it would be...

Band Of Brothers

and it's not even close.

[/ QUOTE ]

It kind of gets screwed because it is a mini-series. However, if you classify it as a film, it is the best war movie of all time. No contest; end of discussion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing story, the best programming ever made for television. But it is not a movie, and that's part of what makes it so great. With Band of Brothers they had ten hours to develop the characters and they had many different writers and directors create separate chapters that all work together to tell one story.

Swede
Old 09-29-2005, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One of the most horrible endings of all time. With the kind of leaden, resounding obviousness and milking of sentimentality that's Spielberg's personal curse. The most unrelentingly gawdawful Spielberg since The Color Purple.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's funny to hear you say this, Blarg. I share much of the same taste as you when it comes to movies, but apparently our views differ greatly when it comes to Spielberg. Perhaps I'm a little bit simpler in my ability to enjoy the stories Spielberg creates, but I really like how he puts movies together. To each their own I guess =)

Swede
Old 09-29-2005, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SPR is a good film no doubt, but this poll is officially a joke if Apocalypse Now doesn't even make the final four.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-29-2005, 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
SPR is a good film no doubt, but this poll is officially a joke if Apocalypse Now doesn't even make the final four.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Apocalypse now is a great film, no doubt, but greatest "war" film? There's a difference... If the poll was "Greatest Film about the Realization of Inner Evil," Then Apocalypse now would kick SPR's arse.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One of the most horrible endings of all time. With the kind of leaden, resounding obviousness and milking of sentimentality that's Spielberg's personal curse. The most unrelentingly gawdawful Spielberg since The Color Purple.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's funny to hear you say this, Blarg. I share much of the same taste as you when it comes to movies, but apparently our views differ greatly when it comes to Spielberg. Perhaps I'm a little bit simpler in my ability to enjoy the stories Spielberg creates, but I really like how he puts movies together. To each their own I guess =)

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

He can't be beat on things that require little human emotion or need for a measured hand, like Jaws or Raiders of the Lost Ark.

He doesn't trust his material when it comes to emotions, and overcranks the hell out of everything. Absolutely no faith in the audience or his material or actors. Definitely the Hallmark card on steroids version of human emotion. He needs stories about guys with whips and about really big sharks.

I like how he puts movies together too, sometimes. But, it has to be a particular kind of movie. He's one of the most brilliant yet fatally flawed filmmakers ever.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
With the kind of leaden, resounding obviousness and milking of sentimentality that's Spielberg's personal curse.

[/ QUOTE ]

It pains me that he insists on ruining otherwise good films with this crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. Ryan would have been so much better without that horrible last scene. I couldn't believe how badly he blew it by cornballing it up to high heaven and milking the living daylights out of it.

It's like he's compulsive or something, or bottomlessly insecure. No respect for the material or the audience. He always has to make sure you "get it." The guy just can't help himself.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:36 PM

I am protesting the vote because MISSING IN ACTION with Chuck Norris wasnt even given a chance.

Haters
Old 09-29-2005, 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
With the kind of leaden, resounding obviousness and milking of sentimentality that's Spielberg's personal curse.

[/ QUOTE ]

It pains me that he insists on ruining otherwise good films with this crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. Ryan would have been so much better without that horrible last scene. I couldn't believe how badly he blew it by cornballing it up to high heaven and milking the living daylights out of it.

It's like he's compulsive or something, or bottomlessly insecure. No respect for the material or the audience. He always has to make sure you "get it." The guy just can't help himself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree in that Spielberg often screws up otherwise excellent films with that mushy over-the-top crap. And as sucky as that final scene in SPR is, it is Spielbergs way of bringing the focus back to the men who fought in that war, who are now old and scarred, and nearly forgotten by whipper-snappers like ourselves who so crave a perfectly sculpted film about the horrors of war.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:50 PM

probably the most realistic Vietnam war film out there...(let's face it, Full Metal Jacket is too cool/surreal to be realistic - Kubrick wasn't a big fan of realism)

If for no other reason then it was written by a vet, I think it's worth watching - glad to see it in the top 9

I'm REALLY waiting to see if Saving Private Ryan can stay ahead of Apoc. Now - Personally, I have nothing against Coppela, but again, that was more of a drama - Hell, it's the retelling of that Joseph Conrad story Heart of Darkness in Vietnam, that's all...

The best war movies should be realistic, IMHO....

RB
Old 09-29-2005, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The best war movies should be realistic, IMHO....

[/ QUOTE ]