Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-20-2004, 05:48 AM

Default Great read or suicide?

so i have been playing fairly regularly on party and for the most part have been trying to play fairly straightfoward mathamatical poker. i certainly mix it up and no one would consider me a "tight" player as i often play too many suited connectors (which are definately my weakness). however since i switched from the B&M to the online NL i haven't really found myself making any really tough reads. i think this is partly due to the craziness on party poker and the fact that it is often times difficult to put players on a thought or a hand and so i usually rely on pot odds and general impressions i have of players ie: maniac or weak-tight etc...
but tonight i made what i thought at the time to be my first really good read and i wanted to get some feedback as to what you might have done in this situation. sometimes i have trouble with giving people credit for hands online, when i play in live games i seem to be much more willing to give people credit for what they are representing however when i play online i find myself "looking people up" much more frequently.
so i guess what i am asking is what do you think of this play?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (10 handed)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

UTG+1 ($325.75)
<font color="C00000">UTG+2 ($710.55)</font>
MP1 ($100)
MP2 ($98)
MP3 ($100)
CO ($117.65)
<font color="C00000">Hero ($99.75)</font>
SB ($119.20)
BB ($96)
UTG ($83)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls $2, UTG+1 calls $2, UTG+2 calls $2, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Hero calls $2, SB completes, BB checks.

like i said before suited connectors are a major weakness of mine, and while i have gotten away from playing them out of position i still will limp in good position in multi way unraised pots.

Flop: ($12) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $11</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls $11.

should i have overbet here? i generally like to bet the pot whether i am bluffing or strong so as not to give away information.

Turn: ($34) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG+2 bets $40</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $86.75 (All-In)</font>, UTG+2 calls $46.75.

after thinking about this until my time bank was at 1 i decided there was no way i was losing here. i didn't have a great read on this player as i had just sat down two orbits ago however i had seen him try to bully people already twice since i sat down. however beyond that i just couldn't put his bet with any logical hand. when he initally called me on the flop i put him on a high club or maybe a set, however once he bet 40$ into me i just sensed weakness. to me if he had say the A of clubs why would he bet half my stack? if he has the K of clubs or the T of clubs would he really make that bet? i just couldn't put him on either of those hands and decided he was trying to move me off my small flush. and since this was an obvious push or fold situation...

River: ($207.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $207.50
<font color="green">Main Pot: $207.50, between UTG+2 and Hero.

i will post the results after i get some feedback. thanks in advance your replies really help.