Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2005, 12:12 AM

Default Variance is a bitch, but give it time...

About six months ago, I switched to 6 max tables, having heard stories about how every street was paved with fish. I played what I thought was the same solid poker that was making me money at full ring, but I just couldn't get anything going. Here are my stats through August 12:

6098 hands
-3.19 BB/100
-$378.36
[img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Yuk! I was seriously starting to doubt whether I knew how to play this game. Then, it turned around. Since August 13th:

5529 hands
5.96 BB/100
+$426.59
[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
As far as I can tell, I haven't done much different. My VP$IP, PFR, WSD, etc. are all about the same.

When I first started playing poker on-line, I got very lucky. I started out severely under-bankrolled, but managed to start hot and not experience any major swings for quite some time. Now I know just how bad variance can be, and how long it can last. Don't get discouraged if you're losing money for 1000, 5000, or even 10,000 hands. If you think you're a good poker player, (and if you're on the 2+2 forums, you probably are), just keep playing and it'll come around.

P.S. I also know there's no chance that I'll keep running at 6BB/100 forever, but it's nice while it lasts.