Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2005, 01:31 AM

Default Re: Thoughts on chopping blinds

I disagree with chopping in time, but not raked games theory. It would be the opposite for me. In h/u w/blind, pot probably won't get big enough to over come 10% with rake, where as that is a mute point in a time game. If I have a +EV situation in a hand h/u in the blind, the rest of the table can certainly wait. I am more likely to chop in limit vs. NL cause who knows if this is the hand where I can get the other player's whole stack, which is why you play NL. Overall, I chop most of the time, eventhough I beleive I might be better than my opp, and therefore giving up a +EV situation, as you mentioned, chopping leads to a happier environment, and friendlier table image, which are both very good for business.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:42 PM

Interesting posts. Wihtout having given it much thought, I've spent my poker life as a "never-chop" ... although as a low stakes 2/4 or 3/6 player live, I'm not given many opportunities to stand by my convictions.

A couple points in favor of not chopping:

1) The skill difference can be big enough, that you should take any opportunity to get in a pot with them (as mentioned in earlier posts... particularly in NL).

2) It could give you a LAGish table image, which can help in other hands, in a relatively harmless format.

Last night at Canterbury I was at an unusually tight 3/6 table, and pot-chopping was running rampant. As I customarily do, I refused to chop (and naturally raised), when first given an opportunity. It caused a big stir at the table.

The upside was that guy to my left, on three occasions, folded his BB to my SB raise because "it wasn't worth his time" (his words). The downside was that the table thought I was a jerk... but I don't think there is an EV impact to being a jerk.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The downside was that the table thought I was a jerk... but I don't think there is an EV impact to being a jerk.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do, and I think it's negative. Normally passive players may play more aggressively. At the very least, I think it will make other players try to play better against you.