Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2005, 02:05 PM

Default should the fish be respected?

How can you develop the skill to take advantage of someone's weaknesses and at the same time not develop a large disrespect for them? Or do you have to believe your opponents are fools, donkeys, and fish in order to play poker aggressively enough? If I'm worried about this should I just stick the play money tables?

Sincerly,
A Fish
Old 10-10-2005, 02:16 PM

Default Re: should the fish be respected?

Don't you like taking a fool's money?

Remember, most fish play for fun. No need to lose all respect for someone because they play poker poorly.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How can you develop the skill to take advantage of someone's weaknesses and at the same time not develop a large disrespect for them? Or do you have to believe your opponents are fools, donkeys, and fish in order to play poker aggressively enough? If I'm worried about this should I just stick the play money tables?

Sincerly,
A Fish

[/ QUOTE ]

The only fish that I disrespect are those that play regularly, play horribly, but are convinced that they are god's gift to poker and will criticize others at the table for *their* play. However, unless this fish is scaring away other fish by being obnoxious, I avoid criticizing his play. I might call the fish an [censored] or a jerk, but I'll never hint that his play is anything but optimal. It's important that he never comes to the realization that he's a horrible player.

So the short answer is: you can secretly disrespect a bad player all you want, but you need to draw the line at saying anything that might make him improve.

As for the recreational players that have no idea what they're doing -- how can you feel contempt for them? They're just like you or me, except that they haven't spent an ungodly number of hours learning the game.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:55 PM

No matter what business I'm in, I always respect my customers, even if they're nitwits.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As for the recreational players that have no idea what they're doing -- how can you feel contempt for them? They're just like you or me, except that they haven't spent an ungodly number of hours learning the game.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-11-2005, 06:30 AM

Think of the recreational (fish) players as an audience in search of entertainment. You are the entertainer.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:38 AM

Do whatever you want to.

I like to maximize my EV, so for me, I learn quicker when I am in a competitive mindset where I am trying to 'destroy' my opponents, so yeah, I kinda 'hate' them. I don't know if that counts as disrespect.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:45 AM

If you were a doctor, would you lose respect for your patients, who don't even know the difference between a heart murmer and a heart attack?

If you were a lawyer, would you lose respect for your clients, who don't even know the outcome of the Alabama Appelate Court decision in the Martin-Shell case (I doubt it's a real case, but still)?

If you were a software engineer, would you lose respect for your customers, who can't even program a simple computer game?

If you were a poker player, would you lose respect for the players who don't know the odds of drawing to an open-ended straight?

Many recreational poker players have had success in some other area of life, and dedicate their professional lives to it. You shouldn't lose respect for someone just because they have a different level of seriousness about poker then you do.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:13 AM

Easy, everyone has a weakness in their game. You think he's a fish - well, maybe he's spotted in your game that makes him think you're a fish too.

More to the point, whilst you're likely a lot better than player A, player B may consider you a fish too.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:15 PM

Hi fish43,
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I think this forum's gotten WAY too loose with the terms "fish" and "donk" as well as other names. A poor poker player is human, just like you and me, it's just that entertainment is more important to them than playing seriously. Therefore, they play with "gambling" on their minds.

You should respect all players, regardless of how they play. Playing poker better than your opponents doesn't make you a better person. I am sure the losing players whom I play against are better than me at many other things in life.

You definitely don't NEED disrespect to play them better. Keep in mind, just because a player does not play like you do, that doesn't make him a fish. As another poster just stated, for all you know, he may think YOU'RE a fish. Regardless, this is still just a game, don't look so deep into this topic.