Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2005, 02:03 PM

Default I\'m sooooooooo friggin\' pissed

FT (8 left) of the Paradise Ocean tourney this morning. The previous hand a player in MP had been knocked down to 400 in chips with the blinds 600/1200 with 50 antes, so I'm already counting 7th place money. At most he has 3 hands left till he's all in. I have about 6.5k, and as I post my 1200 bb I wake up with AdKd. UTG, the big stack (about 50k) limps in for 1200 and it's folded around to me. I move, of course. He thinks about it for a while, and as he's thinking I feel I have him dominated and put him on Ax. He calls. He has Ac7c. The board runs out and he ends up with a J high straight (gutshotted on river). The flop did not bring an ace. I know everyone will probably say I made the right play, but moving there cost me $47 (8th was $93, 7th was $140).

Should I have played this differently, or is this just a bad beat, move on? Regardless of whether my opp has Ax and I have him dominated (say he has QJ or QT), should I have waited the shortstack out despite my premium hand? I knew he would call, in fact I wanted the call as I knew I was probably ahead and hoping I had him dom.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:08 PM

Default Re: I\'m sooooooooo friggin\' pissed

nah it's the right play.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:34 PM

Its the $47 question that only you can answer. If you are playing for 1st you made the right move and got sucked out.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:52 PM

I had seen him call every all in and get lucky when he was behind, so I kind of figured him for a call. The range of hands I'd seen him play (in every position) were any pair, any two cards above ten and Ax, particularly, Axs.

Obviously I like my chances vs. any Ax and any Kx (in this case, KQ, KJ and KT)

Against QJ and QT I'm not feeling great about that situation, as his two live cards mean a genuine race of sorts.

obv I would cringe if he flips a small pair.

I would say that the most likely hands he played would've been dominated but I have no idea how to do the exact math.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:52 PM

and of course I'm playing to win. I was the 7th stack and any hand like this I would've moved with.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:01 PM

I might have played the hand slightly differently. You have a great hand and since you're not going to fold instead of pushing preflop when you're about 90% sure he's going to call you wait until the flop to push(stop and go).

Obviously if you miss the flop it's hard to push (but you were going to go all-in pre flop anyways) but there's also the chance he missed completely and will fold. If he did hit with AK you're probably going to have some outs at least.

You could also min raise pre-flop and then push any flop to get a little more value.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:05 PM

this guy had been just as passive postflop as he had pre. The flop, FWIW, was JT5 rainbow. Obviously, he cannot call with A7 rainbow, but first to act can I push with two big cards like that? well, probably since i have probably have ten outs. Still, I don't want to [censored] around with a premium hand and after thinking about this I had him on the right hand range, totally beaten, and if I win I'm in a really good position to finish at least top 5.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:14 PM

I'm not saying there was anything wrong with your move here. You had him dominated and got sucked out on. But you gave yourself no chance to win by getting him to fold as you figured he was calling preflop. At least if you see the flop and then push he as to fold a number of hands he calls with preflop.

He can't call with any pair small than tens (5s with the flopped set), he folds any Ax that missed including AQ and AK probably, and any hand like some medium suited connector.

Then you're still in the tournament with a chip and a chair and can look for another good chance to double up. If he hits the flop and you lose you were pushing pre-flop anyways so you're no worse off.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I might have played the hand slightly differently. You have a great hand and since you're not going to fold instead of pushing preflop when you're about 90% sure he's going to call you wait until the flop to push(stop and go).

Obviously if you miss the flop it's hard to push (but you were going to go all-in pre flop anyways) but there's also the chance he missed completely and will fold. If he did hit with AK you're probably going to have some outs at least.

You could also min raise pre-flop and then push any flop to get a little more value.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you want him to get away from his hand on the flop? We want the guy to call preflop with the dominated Ax.

You played this fine.

-Gryph