Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2005, 09:28 PM

Default Live hand - triple check raise!

Playing live 3/6 game last night (I always post these in micros because that's what I play online, and live 3/6 plays like micros anyway) - what do you guys think of the play?

I am BB with 88. UTG, who I had seen limp in with AK and AQs earlier, raises, so he's almost certainly got AA-QQ. MP1, MP2 and button, all complete donks, cold call. MP1 is a SUPER donk who has been calling raises with any pair and no kicker just hoping to hit trips (and has done so a few times and hence has a mountainous stack). I call.

Flop is 8c 6d 2c. I check, UTG bets, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, button calls, I raise, UTG calls, MP1 calls, button calls.

Standard I take it? Someone utters something to me like "lookin' for that club, eh?" which makes me decide that I would in fact play the hand like I was "lookin' for that club."

Turn is the meaningless Jh. I check, intending to look like I am chasing a flush and to let UTG bet his overpair. UTG bets, MP1 calls, Button calls, I raise, UTG calls (after giving me the low limit staredown which causes me to visibly laugh - now I KNOW he has that overpair), MP1 calls, Button calls.

River is a godsend - the 6c. Figuring that either a 6 or a flush is out there, I bust out an acting job and "dejectedly" check. UTG checks, MP1 bets, button raises, I 3-bet, UTG calls time, looks at his cards again, and COLD CALLS THREE BETS. MP1 calls, button calls.

All of my reads were correct - UTG had KK, MP1 had A6o and Button had A3 of clubs - and I took down an IMMENSE pot.

So what do you guys think of my play? I would never have thought that the triple check raise would be correct play (or would be able to be pulled off on all three streets!) but I felt as if I made the right move all three times.

Was it too risky to rely on someone to bet the turn?

On the river, I may have been able to bet out and gotten raised and reraised by the trip 6's and the flush, but I really think that my "angry" check is what got MP1 to bet in the first place. Plus I think the prospect of actually pulling off a triple check-raise just seemed so cool to me!

The downside of this play was that it effectively SLAUGHTERED any action that I got on my big hands after that. In fact, two people at the table starting calling me the "sneaky mother f***er" for the rest of the session. However, I was able to liberally steal some small pots.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:08 PM

Default Re: Live hand - triple check raise!

TRIFECTA WINS
Old 10-13-2005, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
River is a godsend - the 6c. Figuring that either a 6 or a flush is out there, I bust out an acting job and "dejectedly" check. UTG checks, MP1 bets, button raises, I 3-bet, UTG calls time, looks at his cards again, and COLD CALLS THREE BETS. MP1 calls, button calls.

So what do you guys think of my play?

[/ QUOTE ]

You missed a chance to cap the river because you got fancy.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

So what do you guys think of my play?

[/ QUOTE ]

You missed a chance to cap the river because you got fancy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you're probably right - I'm thinking that MP1 wouldn't have bet had I not done that and bet out (which would have yielded the same result)...but perhaps I'm speculating. I would be lying if I said that there wasn't some internal desire to pull the trifecta, which I had NEVER done before.

Flop and turn c/r's are ok though guys?
Old 10-13-2005, 10:57 PM

Bet the river.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Flop check-raise is fine, but I lead on the turn. I would be very very sad if the turn got checked through. I would also like to see the overpair raise so that I can 3-bet when the flush draws are still drawing.

I dislike the trifecta in live play for a simple reason:

[ QUOTE ]
The downside of this play was that it effectively SLAUGHTERED any action that I got on my big hands after that. In fact, two people at the table starting calling me the "sneaky mother f***er" for the rest of the session. However, I was able to liberally steal some small pots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep the fish happy, and you win lots of big pots. Not only is the trifecta usually -EV immediately, but it'can also be -EV on future hands.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:27 AM

I like betting out on every street with trips especially with the read on UTG. The UTG with KK is going to raise you on both the flop and the turn giving you a chance to 3-bet on the turn and forcing the flush draw to make bad calls or fold. The paired 6 may slow him down on the river so bet it too.

On the turn you have to fade 9 outs, 8 clubs + K, giving your opponents a 1:3 chance of beating your hand. Why risk a large pot with fancy play, try and push them out of the hand.

Plus nobody can get mad at you for betting out with trips after the hand.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like betting out on every street with trips especially with the read on UTG. The UTG with KK is going to raise you on both the flop and the turn giving you a chance to 3-bet on the turn and forcing the flush draw to make bad calls or fold. The paired 6 may slow him down on the river so bet it too.

On the turn you have to fade 9 outs, 8 clubs + K, giving your opponents a 1:3 chance of beating your hand. Why risk a large pot with fancy play, try and push them out of the hand.

Plus nobody can get mad at you for betting out with trips after the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

You would bet the flop? I agree that if UTG raises me that it increases my winning chances, but with three callers, I would think that it's better the way it played out than have UTG raise people out. True I am dodging 9 outs, but I have 6 outs to fill up (plus the runner runner pair coming up) and if you factor in the board pairing their chances are definitely less than 1:3.

The turn c/r was the play that I was questioning the most, to be honest. Obviously it worked out well, and I think that a LOT of it was read-dependent and also hinged on the spectator announcing my supposed flush draw, but I'm just wondering if you guys like it or think that it was too risky.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Flop check-raise is fine, but I lead on the turn. I would be very very sad if the turn got checked through. I would also like to see the overpair raise so that I can 3-bet when the flush draws are still drawing.

I dislike the trifecta in live play for a simple reason:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep the fish happy, and you win lots of big pots. Not only is the trifecta usually -EV immediately, but it'can also be -EV on future hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I highly doubt UTG would have raised on the turn. Nobody had raised the turn in two hours without a set or better, and I doubt that he would have done it with an overpair. He was definitely not aggressive, and I think that the sole reason that he bet was that he put me squarely on a flush draw. Had I bet out I think that he would have second guessed it. Again, I can't say for certain but that's really what I felt at the time. Obviously a lot of this was instinct. Plus, it seemed that everybody at the table was ascribing to the check=weakness or check=drawing theory. That's really the only reason that I would have even tried something like this. I certainly wasn't planning on doing the trifecta - I agree that it's -EV about 98% of the time - it's just that circumstances played out that it seemed to be the best option.

As for your second paragraph, I agree, but A) I think you're giving fishies too much credit - these are the same people that'll watch you fold for an hour, comment on how you're "too tight", and cold call your raise with 87 off, B) I am the type of player that is super chatty and always downplays my ability and jokes around, so generally the fish never really get mad at me - even the term of endearment that was so nicely applied to me was done in jest, and C) you can always just table change, which I did shortly thereafter (mostly because I saw this MEGA donator sit down at the next one).

So be honest - you guys hate my play, or just midly disagree? To the cats saying bet the river - you're probably right.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:46 AM

Swax i like the flop check/raise but i would have lead the turn and river. If UTG is so passive that he only raises pre flop with AAKK and no one raises with less than a set on the expensive streets then i think it is to risky to check the turn after you showed so much strength on the flop. Basically live LL players are so passive i never rely on them to bet on the expensive streets for me the risk of an expensive street checking through here is just to big.