Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 02:16 AM

Default Re: Weightlifting Advice

You have gotten some good advice already. The circuit is fine for the very beginning. If you are all ectomorphs(skinning, high metabolism, hard to gain muscle) you should switch quickly to an exercise regime built around heavy compound movements. You can cover your full body into 3 workouts. Squats are mandatory. Deadlifts are good and so are barbell benches. Just learn perfect form. This trainer should be teaching you this and experiment with exercises to figure out what works for you. Just base your work outs around very heavy and proper compound movements and you will be fine. Forget isolation exercises and for the most part cardio. Do not worry about getting cut. You want muscle mass.

Weight training is huge shock to ectomorphs. Rest between workouts and a constant intake of protein is essential to build and keep muscle.

Your biggest problem though is going to be your diet if you are naturally underweight. You are going to need to eat every 2 hours of so. Protein/Carb or Protein/Fat meals spread through out the day w/ some protein and fat at night. Peanut butter and cottage cheese is good. Just eat clean food, complex carbs, protein and quality fat and you will be good. Your results will be based on your effort.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:34 AM

No he's gotten largely shitty advice but he deserves it for asking a poker forum.

lift heavy weights in compound movements
bb.com is [censored], avant and am are far superior
oh and for the love of god do not take any kind of hormones
Old 11-02-2005, 10:58 AM

U just need to add eating great amounts of food, and then we have the basics.

I'll suggest some reading of www.eliteFTS.com and www.ruggedmag.com
Old 11-02-2005, 11:30 AM

I did say "some" good advice.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You have gotten some good advice already. The circuit is fine for the very beginning. If you are all ectomorphs(skinning, high metabolism, hard to gain muscle) you should switch quickly to an exercise regime built around heavy compound movements. You can cover your full body into 3 workouts. Squats are mandatory. Deadlifts are good and so are barbell benches. Just learn perfect form. This trainer should be teaching you this and experiment with exercises to figure out what works for you. Just base your work outs around very heavy and proper compound movements and you will be fine. Forget isolation exercises and for the most part cardio. Do not worry about getting cut. You want muscle mass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ding!

I'd add that these three are the only exercises you need right now. The only place we'll probably differ is that I'd recommend a workout consisting of all three of these three times a week rather than a split.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:09 PM

http://www.elitefts.com/

All you need to know can be found on this site.
Ignore ALL other advice.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:28 PM

Michael, you want to focus on the strongest muscles in your body..Chest, back and legs. Basically, just do a lot of benchpress.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Ding!

I'd add that these three are the only exercises you need right now. The only place we'll probably differ is that I'd recommend a workout consisting of all three of these three times a week rather than a split.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are probably right OP body's will not benefit from a split this early in his exercise program.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:54 PM

All this argument is only part of the battle. You likely need to start eating differently if you want to gain muscle mass. Read up about protein supplements and creatine.

The program you have is probably fine for a little while... learn how to do the exercises with correct form and it will go a long way later on. But yeah, if your goal is to gain mass you'll have to get a new program eventually. Bodybuilding.com is good, as someone else mentioned.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was actuall ya competive bodybuilder for many years.... There are a couple ways to look at this...

First off, the circuit thing is ok for about 2 weeks, just to get your muscles acclimated to working out...

After that, you will need to drop the circuit and Really hit free weights hard..

If your goal is to gain Muscle, I wouldnt worry at all about cardio at first. Stick with core excercises and keep your reps in the 5-8 range.. With about 8-12 sets per body part.

I wouldnt work ANY body part more than 2 times per week but go very very heavy.

Also, the most important part is NUTRITION.. Try to consume about 2.5 Grams of Protein per Lb of body weight and so a lot of research on supplements..

btw, are steroids legal there???

If so I would run some light injectables in small doses.. Like maybe 400 Mg Test Enanthate or Cypionate...

Thats very light dose and you wont see any negative sides from that amount, other than a little water retention.. ( Which you can get rid of with Dandelion root.... and drink tons of water

[/ QUOTE ]

I am a PT and this is great advice. Erase all other posts!!!

www.personal-training.com.au