Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2005, 05:23 PM

Default is THIS when you overbet the pot??

$215 sng... No reads. Comments appreciated. Thoughts later.

***** Hand History for Game 2129187946 *****
15/30 TourneyTexasHTGameTable (NL) (Tournament 12663569) - Mon May 30 14:37:50 EDT 2005
Table Table 11249 (Real Money) -- Seat 3 is the button
Total number of players : 8
Seat 1: ICanDoIt2 (725)
Seat 2: Lavendar9 (850)
Seat 3: danxxx1 (1350)
Seat 4: BunnieLee (985)
Seat 6: DarrenX (2150)
Seat 8: rodneyc (2035)
Seat 9: domedinger (990)
Seat 10: luna00 (915)
BunnieLee posts small blind (10)
DarrenX posts big blind (15)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to DarrenX [ 9d, 4s ]
rodneyc calls (15)
domedinger folds.
luna00 folds.
ICanDoIt2 folds.
Lavendar9 did not respond in time.
Lavendar9 folds.
danxxx1 folds.
BunnieLee folds.
DarrenX checks.
** Dealing Flop ** : [ 4h, Ts, 9s ]
DarrenX bets (90)
rodneyc raises (180) to 180
DarrenX calls (90)
** Dealing Turn ** : [ 5h ]
DarrenX checks.
rodneyc bets (150)
DarrenX raises (1955) to 1955
DarrenX is all-In.
Old 06-17-2005, 05:29 PM

Default Re: is THIS when you overbet the pot??

I kind of like it. Only thing you really hate to see from him here is a set. Everything else is fine if he calls/folds.

Of course a bet of 600 will probably have the same effect with the diffence that you can fold to a push (if you get those set-vibes).
Old 06-17-2005, 05:45 PM

You must have *some* read on rodney, yes? Did his extra 1000 chips materialize into his stack without playing a hand??

Also, I'm not sure how overbetting here is more profitable than raising smaller or calling. I assume you feel you're hand is best. So why not extract some more chips in this unique situation (personally, I don't have too many opportunities early on with a hand I *know* to be best hand by a lot)?

Most importantly, to know whether a push here is best or not...is what does your opponent have? It would seem he has a spade draw, a straight draw, or maybe even more likely, a top pair hand (AT,KT,QT,JT). Okay, now aren't you quite a bit a head of *any* of these hands?

Also, I can imagine myself playing a set exactly the way he's playing it vs. what I think (hope) is top pair, so I wouldn't rule that out completely.

Luminous
Old 06-17-2005, 06:59 PM

It's an interesting and unique situation here. You have one limper, and then all fold to the BB who checks. So it's HU. And it's early in the SNG, so the blinds are still small.

Pot=T40 and you bet T90. Is this the time to do that? IMO, no. You have only one opponent here. I could see it with 5 limpers and you maybe. I don't know. But HU, you want to get as much as you can from him, so I would lean toward a pot sized bet, or c/r.

But, the main reason I wanted to comment, was because of the betting sequence after you raised. He then miniraised you. I think you have to reraise here. Your flop bet could mean anything from having a 4 in your hand to a straight flush draw to hoping the limper completely missed the flop and you are trying to take it down with any 2. His miniraise basically puts pressure on you in case you are bluffing, and is telling you that he probably has a piece of the flop also. So, i think you have to play back at him and make him pay for him to improve his hand, as you probably have the best hand here 95% of the time. Now is when I would overbet.

Your opponent just bet T180 at you, making the pot T310. I would probably make it at least T500, probably T600 for him to continue in the hand. Let's him know that you are going to the mat with this hand if need be. As it was, your call is basically giving him a free card, and you still don't know where you stand in the hand.

--aj
Old 06-17-2005, 07:52 PM

Your pushing the guy off the hand when you could have milked some more value of it. Betting 1/2 to full pot is better.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You must have *some* read on rodney, yes? Did his extra 1000 chips materialize into his stack without playing a hand??

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that would be assuming I was paying attention, no? [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] Unfortunately I missed it. It wasn't until later that I went back and saw he had raised to 75 with AA after someone minraised to 30 preflop, who reraised all in with 89s.

I was actually talking about both flop and turn overbets. On the flop, I overbet trying to make it look like I'm throwing my big stack around. Since the villian also had a big stack, he could take my bet as an effort to buy the pot. I just called when it came back to make it look like I was either bluffing and too embarassed to fold to a minraise, or I was on a flush draw. Check the turn to let him hang himself... I had him on a pair so I'd figure he'd bet to protect against the draw, which he did. I pushed because A) bottom two pair is a very vunerable hand and would mind the decent pot at this time and B) he may call me if he had limped in w/KK or AA and C) on the off-chance he was on a flush draw I made it unprofitable. I know checking the turn risks a free card, but with greater risks come greater rewards... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I've posted just a handful of out-of-the-box thinking hands so far, and so far I've basically been accused of overthinking. I figure one of these times I'll hit paydirt. Thanks for the comments. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-17-2005, 08:15 PM

Default And by the way...

He folded.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:25 PM

You're not paying attention at the $215's? Man, you've got a lot of money to throw around, huh. Poker's easy, but it's not that easy.

No reason to lead out and reraise on the flop. There are a bunch of draws out there, Villain will have an easier time laying down on the turn or river with scare cards than on the flop.

I 2/3 pot it on the flop, and reraise a lot.

Overbetting doesn't signal a bluff. It signals I have no idea what I'm doing.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:28 PM

No, normally I DO pay attention, but I missed this one. Most of my other posted hands have reads on them. Trust me, $215 means something to me!!
Old 06-17-2005, 08:29 PM

Aite. Still, without a read, I doubt your overbetting signals anything important. You'll get draws to fold, but, meh, it signals a decent hand that you aren't really comfortable with, which is a lot of hands on this flop.