Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2005, 08:34 PM

Default Macs And Poker

This may be a stupid question, but with the huge popularity of online poker, why is there no interest from online poker sites to add Mac users to their clientele? We have PokerRoom/Hollywood and some Victoria's Poker to pick from, and with PokerRoom's site pretty much self-destructing as of late there's not much choice. Not a rant post, just seriously wondering if there's something about Mac programming and the internet that I am totally missing out on.

wanna
Old 02-20-2005, 04:45 AM

Default Re: Macs And Poker

The cost/benefit analysis of developing mac software doesn't work from the poker site's perspective. The market for online poker simply isn't as large as the markets for the software that is developed for macs. So it isn't worth it for the sites to invest in the development of mac software.

I used to own only a mac. I was frustrated by the fact that I couldn't use any of the software, and Virtual PC ran pretty slow on my machine. So I invested in a pc, and boy has it been worth it. For not much money you can buy a computer that will run the simple poker software just fine.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:28 PM

Thanks jrobb - that's what I thought, but given the amount of money some of these sites rake in, you'd think that the benefit would greatly exceed the more-or-less one time cost of implementing Mac software. But apparently it doesn't, and thanks for your insight.

wanna
Old 02-20-2005, 03:37 PM

I believe PokerRoom is web-based. That would work.
Old 02-20-2005, 03:57 PM

Pacific also has a Java client I believe.

Even with a monopoly on the Mac players, you don't see VC or PokerRoom overtaking Party any time soon.
Old 02-20-2005, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
given the amount of money some of these sites rake in, you'd think that the benefit would greatly exceed the more-or-less one time cost of implementing Mac software.

[/ QUOTE ]

These sites barely have the expertise to program windows software competently, I can't imagine what the mac software would be like. Plus it's not a one-time cost. There is certaintly maintenence costs of the software, keeping it up do date with the windows version, etc.

Ancient PC:
[ QUOTE ]
Even with a monopoly on the Mac players, you don't see VC or PokerRoom overtaking Party any time soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:36 PM

I only and ever owned a PC, but lately I've really been interested in getting a mac. Without poker abilities I am really hesitant to get one though. Anyone think I should get one anyway just because they are so sweet and own both a pc laptop and a powerbook? I think some people would think this is pointless and make me look even more spoiled [even though it would be from my own poker money.]
Old 02-20-2005, 09:34 PM

Does anyone else here currently run Virtual PC on a Mac and play on non-Mac sites? I'm wondering if that's an alternate route to playing PokerRoom....
Old 02-20-2005, 09:47 PM

I'm a mac guy, and previously only played Pokerroom. I installed Virtual PC a few months ago, and have since started playing Party, Stars, Full Tilt etc. I've had no problems even though it just a bit(barely noticeable) slower. I use the 1 GHz power book G4 with 512 MB memory.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:10 PM

Thanks foldingmachine - it seems a lot more profitable to be playing more than just PokerRoom - 1.25 GHz G4 (eMac) here. Did you end up getting it with XP Pro/XP Home/or neither?

wanna