Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2004, 12:49 PM

Default Did I make the right choice?

Paradise .5/1
I have QQ in MP and raise
4 callers-5 players seeing flop

Flop:
2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I wasn't too thrilled with this flop. I was at a loose table and it seemed like my opponents were playing extremely crummy hands, so I felt the likelyhood of someone having a 2 or A already-not to mention a possible flush draw. It was checked to me and I didn't want to bet at it for fear of being raised and not being able to call, so I check-folded.

I don't know if anyone had the goods-the hand ended without a showdown.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:52 PM

Default Re: Did I make the right choice?

Bet the flop - you raised preflop, so represent the big Ace. If you get raised, it's likely that someone has the goods because you raised preflop and bet the flop, so it becomes an easy fold against an unimaginative opponent (as most .5/1 players are).

However, your hand is too strong to lay down on the flop without a fight.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:10 PM

Gravy,
I agree he should bet it. But often I'll bet here and not get raised, but called by 2 people (or more). That's when it gets confusing for me. Soooo often you'll get called down by the any acers with A4 or A6. They are scared to raise, but folding an ace is against their religion.

Usually If I bet and get called here, I'll go into check-down mode, but that doesn't feel right. I hate to fold when they dont show any aggression, but on the other hand I hate to be aggressive, knowing there is no way they are folding their ace, however crappy it is.

This is one type of hand I honestly think is easier to play vs. decent players [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-20-2004, 01:19 PM

Scott beat me to the point. My next question was going to be, so what next if I do bet it and simply get called? Even though I am semi-bluffing (since I have 2 pair) It's not likely hands like Ax will fold even though they face the potential of being out-kicked-they will probably call me all the way to showdown.

On the other hand, if I had position and it was checked around to me I would probably bet it out and fold if check-raised.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:32 PM

Bet out the flop. You will probably be giving yourself a free card becuase yes the people holding an A with bad kicker will not fold, they also will not raise, and then since you showed aggression will most likely check to you on the turn, which will give you the free card on the river and if you dont improve then, its check/fold time.

Old 02-20-2004, 01:33 PM

I would almost always bet this out. If you're behind it's better to know on the flop. It is more difficult to get a read if you just get called rather than check/raised where you know you are probably beat. What I consider is how many callers. If it's one or two, then they could just as easily have a lower pocket pair or be on a flush draw and I would continue betting out until someone played back or until the showdown. If I lost to Ax, then so be it.

On the other hand, If I bet out and get more than 1 or 2 callers, I would assume I am beat and probably either check/fold or check/call on the last two rounds...depending on my read of my opponents and how big the pot is.
Old 02-20-2004, 02:56 PM

It would help to know 1) if you have the Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and 2) how many of those four opponents are blinds who got discounts to play and have checked in front of you.

You did the right thing by checkfolding. I totally don't understand this bet-to-see-where-I-stand thing. They'll call you with aces, they'll call you with deuces (slowplay), and they'll call you because it's too long a wait until they can play the next hand. Mostly they'll call you because they've seen this second pair thing before and don't like being robbed. Raise? That's T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

The only way you can find out where you stand against four low-level players is to pay for a showdown.

As for good opponents, they are very easy to play against. Four strong players coldcalled your raise and you flopped an ace? You are so dead. Go directly to jail for even thinking about pulling something out-of-position against four strong, tight callers.
Old 02-20-2004, 03:19 PM

True, but I don't think you'll ever see 4 cold callers in a strong, tight game [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

You'd be heads up after being 3 bet, then when an Ace flops, it really gets interesting. Tha's why the forum games were so much fun...we need another one soon!
Old 02-20-2004, 03:48 PM

I was not having a good session last night. Most of the cards I got were garbage, and the few legitimate starting hands I had turned to dust quickly. I had QQ one other time and made it two bets, I got cold called by an opponent with K8o. The flop was KKK. Another time I had AJs, made top two pair and got busted by 7c3c when he made his flush. Got KK busted by A7o who chased with NO PIECE OF THE BOARD WHATSOEVER only to spike an ace on the river and win the pot. The quality of play seemed extra bad, especially since Paradise Poker seem a little on the tight side, even at micro limits. Players would raise any ace or king. Even junk suited cards got some pre-flop raises. So when I saw 2A2 I figured it would be too much to expect that someone didn't cold call with Ax, or even a hand like 23.

One time I was lucky enough to be on the button with As8s and have it folded to me. I raised to try and steal the blinds and got called down by the BB with T4o. Of course I lost, he flopped a T.
Old 02-20-2004, 08:13 PM

Bet flop and take it from there, you might have the best hand and laid it down against a flushdraw or a medium PP