Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-29-2005, 02:08 AM

Default Pusing The Turn

Villain likes to raise Ax preflop and play them aggr. postflop. He also goes to showdown with marginal hands such as 4th pair. Thats about it.

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.66 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3.33 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>...
Old 12-29-2005, 02:14 AM

Default Re: Pusing The Turn

Check behind and fold river UI.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:37 AM

15/30 is small stakes?
Old 12-29-2005, 03:40 AM

Why did you bet all the way? If he had nothing he would either bluff or fold imo.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:51 AM

Can you explain why? What rivers are you calling?
Old 12-29-2005, 04:00 AM

Yeah, I hate this situation on the turn and I think is one of the most challenging positions in all of poker - The turn bet with nothing in a blind steal.

So much psychology going on in this hand. So you say this guy is aggro, then wouldn't he likely c/r an A on the flop? If so then you likely have the best hand right now and should bet. However, this is a tricky turn card as it puts 4 to straight on the turn and could easily be c/red with nothing. This would make me want to get to the SD cheaply by checking the turn. However, the turn c/r on a complete bluff will likely only come from extremely aggro players and I don't know that is is THAT likely. If he c/r the turn I think we can safely fold as he likely has some piece, if not the nuts and we are far behind.

So with this board and the given aggro player I like a bet. The fact that he goes to SD with marginal hands in suspect, however, given your aggressive read it would appear that he will say something on the flop or turn if he has something (usually on the flop in my experience). Therefore, you likely have the best hand and can improve on the river or check behind and still SD the best hand the majority of the time.

I really like thinking about these hands and need to do some more studying. Going over the HUSH would probably be a good idea as I don't visit there enough.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:14 AM

Thats weird, my descriptions of villain are incomplete.

Villain has coldcalled preflop with 44 and called bets on all three streets on a QJ8xx board. He defends both of his blinds pretty loosely and hates folding pairs postflop. I thought a bet on the turn with force him to fold a lower pocket pair or let me check behind on the river if he had a draw with no pairs.

If I checked I would've completely given up the pot. Then again giving up 3 or 4 BBs wouldn't have been that big a deal I guess.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:33 AM

Ok I'm a bit confused on the read now. I took that he plays Ax aggro to mean that he would play most hands where he had a piece aggressively postflop in a blind steal.

Does he go into call down mode with pp or a smaller piece then? If this is the case then you are unlikely to fold anything with your turn bet especially if he "has coldcalled preflop with 44 and called bets on all three streets on a QJ8xx board."

If this is the case then I would probably rather check the turn as you are not getting him to fold anything you beat. The question then is what you do on the river. I'd definitely call any bet if a K or 10 falls, but not sure about most other cards. Would this guy bet with nothing on the river? If so then obviously it makes a call easier, if not I'd probably just fold.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:54 AM

Yes I'm now thinking checking the turn is th best play. I'd probably showdown if a K or T falls on the river since I could see him betting with a baby pair. If he doesn't than I learn a little more about his postflop play [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-29-2005, 10:01 AM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)

[ QUOTE ]
He defends both of his blinds pretty loosely and hates folding pairs postflop. I thought a bet on the turn with force him to fold a lower pocket pair or let me check behind on the river if he had a draw with no pairs.

[/ QUOTE ]

it may allow you to check behind on the river, but aren't you saying yourself he won't fold a pair? and as someone previously stated, i would not mind a turn check.