Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

View Poll Results: How much do you think the U.S. is currently spending?
>14% 0 0%
14 0 0%
12 1 4.35%
10 1 4.35%
8 0 0%
6 0 0%
5 1 4.35%
4 0 0%
3 1 4.35%
2 4 17.39%
1 2 8.70%
<1% 13 56.52%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-11-2005, 11:23 PM

Default Re: take home exam situation

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Any instructor who gives a take-home exam with a honor code time limit is an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

lots of profs at my school give these. then again, the entire graduating class manages a 4.0 .

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 12-11-2005, 11:34 PM

edtost,
where do u go and what's ur major?

most of my teachers still try to make ppl sit every other seat even though its impossible with the number of seats in the room.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Any instructor who gives a take-home exam with a honor code time limit is an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

lots of profs at my school give these. then again, the entire graduating class manages a 4.0 .

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

not quite. new regulations require a maximum of 35% A's in coursework and 50% A's in independant work per semester, for each department. that said, i remember reading an article a couple of years ago stating that a 3.0 average wouldd have put a student in the bottom 10% of that year's graduating class.

edited to add detail.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:44 PM

Who honestly spends 8 hours completing a homework project?
Old 12-11-2005, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
edtost,
where do u go and what's ur major?

[/ QUOTE ]

Princeton; Operations Research and Financial Engineering
Old 12-11-2005, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who honestly spends 8 hours completing a homework project?

[/ QUOTE ]

there was a thread about longest time spent on an exam a while ago (started by JA Sucker?). Most responses were &gt; 24hrs, though i imagine that was a fairly self-selective sample.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If it's the case that people don't understand that it makes a difference, why don't you explain the difference? Or do you just like sounding pompous on the internet?

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not kidding when he says the grades don't matter, which is the difference (not that it justifies cheating as an undergrad) - there really should be no incentive to cheat. Maybe if you're on an NSF fellowship or something grades matter, but for the most part the only distinction that's important is whether you're failing or not. And even that's pretty flexible. Numerous friends of mine had a GPA below what the university nominally allows at some point, and all that happens is you get a letter saying "Knock it off" and there's zero enforcement. Even the guy I know who has failed basically every class and has been fired from a research position once is still here three years later. This is neglecting that to fail these classes generally requires you to be seriously not trying. The professors don't want to fail you, because it's a pain in the ass for everybody, and the classes aren't what you're really there for.

At least in the sciences, what matters when you're done is what research you've done, who you know, etc. Nobody gives a rat's ass about your grades. Maybe the story is different if you're going for a master's degree in spirituality or something like that, but I doubt it pretty highly.

EDIT: Is everybody's concern with not talking to other people simply that you'll get ratted out? Man, that's lame.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:02 AM

Nobody but yourself can track the time you use.

Talking to someone else is bad- this is the kind of thing that gets you ratted out.

Another interesting situation is if you would use reference material (looking up formulas, etc.) when the professor says that you cannot. I'm guessing that people who would take more time would use reference if necessary, I classify them as generally the same thing.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nobody but yourself can track the time you use.

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends. There was a distinction at my college between self-scheduled exams and take home exams. Self-scheduled meant you showed up at the registrar's office, checked in, and gave your exam back within the time limit that had been allotted. Take home was the same thing, for the most part, but you got 24 hours to return the test. The bulk of my final exams were administered in this way. Some of mine were take-home 4-hour finals on an honor system, a couple were week-long finals.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
63% of you suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I was really surprised by this. Really surprised at the number.

Personally, I would just not want to know that I cheated. I mean, even if the prof. didn't, I would.

Also, if there is one thing I have learned, its that grades mean jack [censored] when it comes to what you really learned. Of course, the world doesn't work that way, so I guess in the end, I'm not that surprised.