Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2005, 03:52 PM

Default Re: Coaching basics...

i recently came up with an idea and am considering following through on it. i want to start recording my sessions through a screen recording program and allow people to download my sessions in .avi format. 4tabling for 2 hours comes to about a 1.4GB download. if there is enough interest i could create a website and forum and have people point out hands that they feel i misplayed. this would essentially work out as free coaching for me less the hosting fees, and i know of a few people who are interested in watching my sessions. would anyone else be interested in downloading some sessions and analyzing my play or would it not be worth the time? this method of screen recording allows the viewers to see HUD stats and my hole cards, and should be much more efficient and enjoyable than communicating hole cards through aim or hand history files.
Old 09-30-2005, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would be interested in doing a coaching swap, where no money is exchanged, just each player try to coach the other.

[/ QUOTE ]

I want to do the same for 5/10. PM if interested.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i recently came up with an idea and am considering following through on it. i want to start recording my sessions through a screen recording program and allow people to download my sessions in .avi format. 4tabling for 2 hours comes to about a 1.4GB download. if there is enough interest i could create a website and forum and have people point out hands that they feel i misplayed. this would essentially work out as free coaching for me less the hosting fees, and i know of a few people who are interested in watching my sessions. would anyone else be interested in downloading some sessions and analyzing my play or would it not be worth the time? this method of screen recording allows the viewers to see HUD stats and my hole cards, and should be much more efficient and enjoyable than communicating hole cards through aim or hand history files.

[/ QUOTE ]

that'd be a huge download...why not compress it some? you wouldn't lose enough quality to not see what's going on...
Old 09-30-2005, 04:13 PM

I'd be up for exchanging HH's with anyone who currently plays 10/20, just PM me.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like it.

Lozing
Old 09-30-2005, 04:48 PM

Going off on a mini-rant.

The problem with coaching as I see it:
(a) the long run is very, very long. You won't know for sure if your coach is even a winning player, a marginal player, etc.
(b)the fees are exuberant and therefore out of reach for most players who potentially could benefit from coaching in the first place
(c)But the kicker: Why pay for something you can get for free. 2+2 Archives > paying your coach $200-$500 per appointment/session.

I could understand someone paying for coaching if they are playing high stakes NL cash games or tournaments (because this adds a more psychological element that hasn't been discussed at length and understood), but for limit and specifically 6-max, a wealth of information/advice/strategy is already available from reputable and proven winners in the archives if you are willing to research and apply. A lot of what they said then still applies to today's games.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:08 PM

Awesome idea! IŽd definitely be interested...
Old 09-30-2005, 05:20 PM

i already tried to tamper with compression and i dont think itll get better than 1.4GB or so. i really dont know too much about computers so there might be programs i am unaware of. if i compress the quality to 50% and compress the .avi into a compressed zip file it comes to 1.4GB. ive also tried xvid, dvix and saving the record in .swf. none seem to be any more efficient then this, but one thing that seems optimistic is that i can significantly cut down on frame rate which might save an extreme amount of space. ill tamper with it some more.

im glad there is interest in this idea. someone even pmed me telling me they would pay me for these avi files and offered to host them for me. i dont have any intentions to charge for the avis as long as i receive positive feedback on my play and the server fees dont go ballistic.

let me know if there is any feedback on how to improve upon my idea or if anyone thinks they can help.

thanks for the input.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the server fees dont go ballistic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Distribute the files using bittorrent. This way some people from the forum can share the burden of hosting/uploading.

This sounds like a great idea. It's a great way to review an entire session.

Also, one positive to a XViD file is that I can view it without unzipping. If I want to keep the uncompressed AVI on my hard drive for easy watching .. it sounds like it's gonna take up a whole bunch of space. I'd rather have an XViD video than a .zip of an uncompressed AVI.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i already tried to tamper with compression and i dont think itll get better than 1.4GB or so. i really dont know too much about computers so there might be programs i am unaware of. if i compress the quality to 50% and compress the .avi into a compressed zip file it comes to 1.4GB. ive also tried xvid, dvix and saving the record in .swf. none seem to be any more efficient then this, but one thing that seems optimistic is that i can significantly cut down on frame rate which might save an extreme amount of space. ill tamper with it some more.

im glad there is interest in this idea. someone even pmed me telling me they would pay me for these avi files and offered to host them for me. i dont have any intentions to charge for the avis as long as i receive positive feedback on my play and the server fees dont go ballistic.

let me know if there is any feedback on how to improve upon my idea or if anyone thinks they can help.

thanks for the input.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know much about any of this stuff, but I'd be interested in this and I'm willing to help in any way needed.