Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2005, 12:17 PM

Default T4o - big blind defense against a TAG

Villain is a tag, 25/19 stats and aggressive postflop. He tends to overplay mediocre hands postflop, but is also capable of making tough folds. I've 3-bet him preflop, and showed down several solid hands before this.

Retard, brilliant, completely standard?

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Turn: (3 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

River: (5 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>
Old 06-06-2005, 12:29 PM

Default Re: T4o - big blind defense against a TAG

Finally a blind defense post. I just cleared IP 90 for 90 at 1/2. Tighest game i've played. I don't have much experience with defense, but I would 3 bet preflop. Then I like calling the flop and betting the turn even more. Am I way off? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-06-2005, 12:30 PM

I'd re raise that flop and see if you can get villain to fold right there. If the villain comes back at you with a 3 bet you can safely fold, especially with that opponent being TAG. The only way I see you taknig down this pot is to re raise that flop and then lead out the turn. If the villain doesn't fold by the river I see no reason why you wouldn't just check behind, and muck your hand if you lose. What'd the villain end up doing? Just wondering....
Old 06-06-2005, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain is a tag, 25/19 stats and aggressive postflop. He tends to overplay mediocre hands postflop, but is also capable of making tough folds. I've 3-bet him preflop, and showed down several solid hands before this.

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Turn: (3 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (5 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd fold preflop. T4o isn't much of a defending hand, even if he is stealing 100% of the time.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:38 PM

You are a good contributor to this forum, but I have to place this one in the retard category. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Postflop wouldve been better had you connected a little more with the flop. Interestingly enough, there is a somewhat similar hand posted in mid-high by Mason.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd fold preflop. T4o isn't much of a defending hand, even if he is stealing 100% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, preflop is probably the most questionable. T7o is about my threshold against a 100% stealer. But since this player seemed capable of folding I thought I could take away a pot from him enough to make the call profitable.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Finally a blind defense post. I just cleared IP 90 for 90 at 1/2. Tighest game i've played. I don't have much experience with defense, but I would 3 bet preflop. Then I like calling the flop and betting the turn even more. Am I way off? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like 3-betting preflop the here because villain is capping a ton of hands here.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd re raise that flop and see if you can get villain to fold right there. If the villain comes back at you with a 3 bet you can safely fold, especially with that opponent being TAG. The only way I see you taknig down this pot is to re raise that flop and then lead out the turn. If the villain doesn't fold by the river I see no reason why you wouldn't just check behind, and muck your hand if you lose. What'd the villain end up doing? Just wondering....

[/ QUOTE ]

I think calling the flop on this board looks more scary than raising, especially against a thinking player capable of raising almost any two preflop. It's tough to measure how profitable the river bluff is, ut with 5BB in the pot i think it's pretty close. That K certainly helped my fold equity.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain is a tag, 25/19 stats

[/ QUOTE ]

those aren't tag stats.

i'd fold preflop.

if you really are going to try to steal this pot off of him. its either raise here on the flop or wait till the turn. if you guys have some history with each other, do whichever one you think he'll respond to best.

of course folding the flop is probably the best choice there too anyways.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:57 PM

Either way I don't see the villain folding to the river bet, even with a low pocket pair. Worst comes to worst you alays show down 10 high, and wait for him to try to steal again and make him pay when you do flop something. Besides it's always fun to show down 10 high then tell the villain you thought it was good [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]