Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2005, 12:34 AM

Default dissapointed in this forum

hey people i asked a question earlier about raising with connectors and small pp. The response i got was like 10 ppl saying read ssh which i have and reread many times. in ssh it never says u can raise small pp only 9s or better and 8s in loose games i asked because i wanted to know if it was ever correct to raise with those hands. Not for 50 ppl to gimme the same answer. If u are gonna take the time to reply, then friggin reply otherwise just view the post and move on
Old 05-09-2005, 12:36 AM

Default Re: dissapointed in this forum

[ QUOTE ]
hey people i asked a question earlier about raising with connectors and small pp. The response i got was like 10 ppl saying read ssh which i have and reread many times. in ssh it never says u can raise small pp only 9s or better and 8s in loose games i asked because i wanted to know if it was ever correct to raise with those hands. Not for 50 ppl to gimme the same answer. If u are gonna take the time to reply, then friggin reply otherwise just view the post and move on

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.. there are times when you raise these hands. Often times vs many limpers, and you are in late position (especially when in the CO)

But... your question was far too general. Its better to just read through the hands and see when people are raising these hands, or post hands yourself.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
question earlier about raising with connectors and small pp

[/ QUOTE ]

answer: it depends.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:25 AM

Poker is situation. Your question....far to general.

It depends. Sometimes u limp with 77-88 in MP, sometimes u raise...like its folded to u in MP and u have 77-88 u might want to raise as open limping is pretty weak. If the table is tight...sometimes raise with 77-88 u can get it heads up sometimes...limp in with lots of limpers in loose passive games...99 if no limpers, raise. 99 with two-three limpers at a loose table sometimes u want to limp as the pot is going to be multiway.

Hands have relative strengths. 22-66 are information hands, u are hoping to hit a set and u know pretty quickly on the flop if ur hand is good or not. Raise heads up, but I dont really do it at a full table, maybe late position if its folded to me.

88-99 work best in two situations. 2-3 opponents in a hand, or 5-8 opponents in a hand. 2-3 u have a good chance of being best. 5-8 u want to hit that set.

U see, this is just a small list...it depends. Read hands, post on the boards. Play alot of poker.

As far as suited connectors, sometimes I raise to mix things up, or if I have a ton of limpers I may raise occasionally (when u have some sort of equity against loose-weak limping hands)

Its situational, table dependant, opponent dependant...how well u play post flop, etc. You will know when to raise and when not to after u put a ton of study into the game and play a ton of hands.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:30 AM

Your question is far too vague. I've raised as low as 66 UTG in a ring game, and I've just called with 99 there as well. It's so read centric that there is no general answer. If you're trying to get a feel for it, post up a couple of hands with reads, and see what kinda responses you get.

Also, this forum isn't a public service. In all honesty, I don't care how disapointed you are in it. Get involved in the discussion and you'll soon find the answers to your questions.

If Ishmael or Chief or Einbert or QTip or any of the other SS regulars started bitching about being disapointed I might care, but you're coming in and expecting us to give an answer that would have to be five paragraphs long then bitching when you don't get it.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:40 AM

I'm disappointed with your effort put into spelling... so I guess we're even?
Old 05-09-2005, 05:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm disappointed with your effort put into spelling... so I guess we're even?

[/ QUOTE ]

buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurn.......
Old 05-09-2005, 07:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't worry. The tone can be a bit harsh around here, but the knowledge is invalueable so it's very +EV to stick around and take a bashing or three.

/twang
Old 05-09-2005, 10:44 AM

Any poker rule like "never raise low pocket pairs" is subject to exceptions. The reason SSHE says not to raise pocket pairs is that it is USUALLY a bad idea to do so: since these are typically drawing hands, you usually want to encourage lots of others to join you in the pot so that you have the pot odds you need in order to continue.

However, to demonstrate for you that every poker rule has an exception, let me give you an IDEAL situation for raising with low pocket pairs.

Let's say you're in CO with 22. UTG+2 is notoriously loose and aggressive preflop, and open raises. The hand is folded to you. Now is a great time to reraise.

This is called an "isolation reraise," and the purpose of it is to get heads-up. In this specific situation, there are three good reasons to want to be heads-up:
1. With your pair, you're likely ahead of UTG+2.
2. After the flop, you'll have position against UTG+2.
3. The blind money sweetens the pot for you.

When you make this move, you'll have to be able to outplay your opponent, but the relative position helps that quite a bit. In general, a pocket pair is a SLIGHT favorite against overcards, a slight underdog against suited overcards, and a huge dog against overpairs. Given that, you don't want to try this "isolation raise" business against a passive player who is far more likely than usual to have a dominating pocket pair when he raises preflop.

The reason guide books don't typically discuss this play much is that it is so darned easy to misapply. If you only learned a rule that "pocket pairs should isolate against preflop raisers" you'd be falling on your sword all the time when you reraised against some UTG rock whose PFR% is 2. This is a potentially powerful tool at the poker table, but it is also potentially disasterous if misused.

TYPICALLY, you shouldn't raise with small pocket pairs or small suited connectors because these hands need to hit to win. Atypically, however, situations may arise where raising is the right move. If you never raised your small pocket pairs or small suited connectors preflop, your play probably wouldn't be far from perfect. As you get a better feel for the game, the table, and your opponents, you may find profitable exceptions to this general rule.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:16 AM

You're complaining about free advice? Why don't you do the world a favor and remove yourself from the gene pool you ungrateful slack-jawed neanderthal.