Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2005, 03:08 PM

Default ADD and Poker

I just purchased ADD on the Job by Lynn Weiss, Ph. D. Much in this book resonates with me and gives me hope that I can one day find a work environment that will meet my needs. What brings me to post about it on 2+2, though, is the following passage:

[ QUOTE ]
The same trait of hypersensitivity, though, probably makes you good at figuring out all kinds of problems. When you are talking to others, you can figure out a lot about them by what they're saying. Also, you are sensitive to what they don't tell you; you can even pick up on things the don't necessarily want you to know about. You often can figure out the next move someone else is going to make.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've written in the margin, "poker!".

Also, elsewhere she discusses keeping your hands busy while trying to pay attention in a meeting. I think this is why I find myself much more attentive at B&M poker than online; I can play with the chips all day.

Discuss. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-----
Note: I searched for ADHD -- "ADD" seemed useless as a search term -- and found this thread, which wasn't really on my topic: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...art=1&vc=1

Keywords: ADHD, Attention Deficit Disorder
Old 05-07-2005, 03:27 PM

Default Re: ADD and Poker

I swear i have ADD, because my mind is always wondering off when i'm at the table, or anywhere else. Whenever i feel like 'im going to think about something else within 10 other things, i'll pinch my leg and i'm back at the table. Sometimes, i'll walk away limping. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

This book seems interesting... i might pick it up later
Old 05-07-2005, 03:59 PM

Find a job you love doing.

There's nothing else to it...
Old 05-07-2005, 04:06 PM

I have been diagnosed ADD. This post intrigued me very much. Until recently, I have not had any medication to help fix the problem, but here I am now, 20 years old and taking ridalin. You mentioned that you can play with your chips all day at a b-m cardroom. Personally, I can't stand not fidgiting in real life, but in poker, I will riffle my chips from the instant I fold to the instant my next cards are dealt. I never riffle them during a hand. It has been said that when there is a talky player at the table, his tell is when he shuts up. The same goes for riffling chips. If you do it all the time, the tell is when you stop. In the post you linked to, one of the people talked about a cue to come back to attention. That could be a tool for you to use not only at the beginning of the hand, but during the hand as well. Sometimes I have to look at my cards once every street to remember what I have. I frequently have to actually speak my card values in my mind to remember them. The best thing to do I think, is to create a script in your head (play by play, etc.) for awhile, and then it should become easier as the script is learned. Also, making book at the table may help.

I know this was a little random, but I hope it helps. Good Luck
Old 05-07-2005, 05:01 PM

Huh? I couldn't finish your post because I kept on getting distracted by replying to your post first. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

There might be something to the hypersensitivity thing. Most people are good at filtering out "noise" that may or may not be important. It would probably be helpful for reading tells, etc.

Wally
Old 05-07-2005, 05:42 PM

AKQJ10.

You've touched on an important issue for a number of card players I know. I've tried many things because I don't like the medications available.

As far as suggestions for remaining focused at the card table I've settled for a strictly regulated table break. I set my cell phone to alert me (on vibrate) every 50 mins. I get up from the table and take a walk, go to the bathroom...Just to clear my head. I take this time to review my play and to clarify my reads on the people at the table.

I've found that when I don't do this I suffer greatly about 1.5 hours into the session.

If anyone else has any suggestions I'd love to hear them
Old 05-07-2005, 06:40 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

Im textbook (oldschool, not overdiagnosed)ADD. Not extreme to where I have a tick or am twitching or anything, I had that to some degree as a kid. More-so just thought-wise now in adult form.

Another thing is to learn how to watch a hand. There's lots of info available that can keep your mind busy once you learn how to do it.

Learning how to center your focus and concentrate helps also.

b
Old 05-07-2005, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AKQJ10.

You've touched on an important issue for a number of card players I know. I've tried many things because I don't like the medications available.

As far as suggestions for remaining focused at the card table I've settled for a strictly regulated table break. I set my cell phone to alert me (on vibrate) every 50 mins. I get up from the table and take a walk, go to the bathroom...Just to clear my head. I take this time to review my play and to clarify my reads on the people at the table.

I've found that when I don't do this I suffer greatly about 1.5 hours into the session.

If anyone else has any suggestions I'd love to hear them

[/ QUOTE ]

There are two classes of meds available. One class is essentially long-acting speed. It works well for most, and at doses that do not make the individual "high." The second is Strattera. It seems to work for fewer people, but is chemically related to the antidepressants, and not to the stimulants. I suspect they treat two seperate diseases that look the same. We just don't understand the brain terribly well yet.

Most importantly, the diagnosis of ADHD requires symptoms to be present prior to age 8. In other words, it NEVER develops in the teen years or later. If you were asymptomatic prior to the teen years, then developed symptoms you do not have ADHD.

-Dr. Milo
Old 05-07-2005, 11:06 PM

Did you know that there is a positive correlation between ADD, ADHD and hyuperactivity in children and future gamblign addiction as adults?

not saying you're at risk of becoming a PG, but i thought it was interesting.
Old 05-08-2005, 12:22 AM

i have been diagonsed ADHD, and i take adderall, which i believe has really helped me 4-tabling abilities. although i haven't kept track of it, i feel like i play much better when im on adderall than when im not, does anyone else feel the same (or different)?