Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2005, 11:30 AM

Default Re: ADD and Poker

All my unambitious and lazy friends suffer from ADD.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:27 PM

I take it that this is supposed to be a slam, that "ADD" is just a pseudoscientific cover for sloth and lack of ambition?

Even if that was your intent (and forgive me if it wasn't), you unwittingly made a very important point: society has labeled many of us as lazy and unambitious when the reality has nothing to do with either of those attributes.

I know for a fact that I'm ambitious; I have been given a great deal of innate ability and I aspire to use it to its fullest. I also know that I'm not lazy; when a worthwhile goal inspires me, I can be very tenacious in its pursuit.

It's finding something that inspires me long enough to see it through that's the problem. However, I take it you see the whole topic as a big whine-fest, so it's probably best that I just drop it with you.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So what is it that you love doing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well... in some sense that's the problem, as i love lots of things. Or at least i find lots of things interesting, although i'm not sure if i LOVE any of them enough to sustain a career.

To hijack the question a bit to make it relevant to others, though, what i love about poker is (1) analytical thinking (2)observation of other people with a goal of predicting their actions. From the book I mentioned at the outset, it seems that ADD people make good counselors and therapists for reasons corresponding to (2), and obviously to some extent (1). Counseling, broadly speaking, is a career i've thought of; perhaps it merits further consideration?
Old 05-14-2005, 04:31 PM

I have heard of some college students who take ritalin because it makes them concentrate better. I bet it would do the same with poker. I would never try it, but I am curious why it has this effect.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All my unambitious and lazy friends suffer from ADD.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just what are you trying to say? You are only showing your ignorance on the matter. Your "friends" who have ADD act that way because they are overwhelmed and discouraged by the thought of what goes along with that task. They only see the forest, not the trees like everyone else. I don't think you could understand unless you are ADHD/ADD or are a doctor with experience in ADHD.

I have ADHD and you haven't a clue.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey, do the drugs help? I was just diagnosed with ADD at age 36. I havent started the drugs yet but I will in about 2 weeks. I sure hope the drugs help because I am one fidgety guy. lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

I take Concerta and I'm still working on the right dose. I take the 54mg now and don't seem to be getting the expected or desired results. Next dose is 72mg and for some reason I'm a bit hesitant. I don't think the results would outweigh the other things that go along with it. I might try another Rx such as Adderall and see if that helps get the desired effects.

Also, check out this site ADD forums
Old 05-17-2005, 10:48 PM

That's really interesting I think I'll pick up a copy of the book because I've been beginning to suspect I
Old 05-18-2005, 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That's really interesting I think I'll pick up a copy of the book because I've been beginning to suspect I

[/ QUOTE ]

poor attempt at humor I must say.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:32 AM

http://www.livejournal.com/users/groanblog/

This might be of interest to all poker players. Groan discusses using some prescription medication similar to the drugs prescribed to adults with ADD. If you read the "comments" section, Paul Phillips chimes in about his use of Adderall, which is prescribed for ADD. Both of them agree that the use of these drugs affect their poker game in a positive way.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:12 PM

Most medications for ADD/ADHD are stimulants and studies have shown that certain stimulants enhance a person's ability to perform almost any task. This is one reason why U.S. military pilots used to be (maybe still are) given stimulant medication before they go out on some missions. I was prescribed Ritilin at a young age and it certainly helped my performance in school. I have used ADD medication while at the poker table on several occasions and I believe it has positively affected my play. However, these drugs have many side effects that you can read about.

One side effect that you probably will only hear from first hand accounts is that fact that these drugs make you feel pretty crappy. It's not that you are depressed while under the influence of these stimulants, but you have a difficulty simply enjoying life. For example, if somebody makes a funny remark you may want to laugh but for some reason you can not seem to do it genuinely. Therefore, you need to think about why you play poker and weigh that against the effects the drug may have on you. I'd be interested to know what Dr. Al has to say about this, being a more informed source on the subject.

Zeus XIX

p.s. I wouldn't try any of these drugs w/o talking to a doctor about them first. As innocent as it may seem, it is in fact speed you are putting into your body.