Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2005, 02:07 AM

Default 10/20 6max: a semibluff raise - AQo

Villain is 43/12/1.3

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>

Surf
Old 08-03-2005, 10:59 AM

Default Re: 10/20 6max: a semibluff raise - AQo

bump for the morning crowd.

Surf
Old 08-03-2005, 11:10 AM

If you were planning on calling the river UI, I think this is a good play as long as you don't think villan is aggressive enough to 3 bet a medium pocket pair here which would suck pretty badly.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:15 AM

does anyone consider 3 betting the flop to get 2 free cards?

I have been doing this lately. I think a king would go for turn c/r and often in this spot you are not good UI. The 3 bet on the flop often gets me to SD in the cheapest way possible. It has been working for me quite well.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:18 AM

I used to do this but dont anymore. If he has a king you get threebet, and if he was bluffing J10 or somethink he only had four outs, and would probably bet the river no matter what. These 40/12 players dont ever fold any piece of the board or even ace high, so I dont really see value in this.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:21 AM

I really think that in this game where everyone bluffs way to much you shouldnt be bluffing these type of players almost ever. I would save my semi bluffs for players that are capable of folding, on boards where they are likely to have weak made hands, not either complete bluffs or hands that will threebet us.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I really think that in this game where everyone bluffs way to much you shouldnt be bluffing these type of players almost ever. I would save my semi bluffs for players that are capable of folding, on boards where they are likely to have weak made hands, not either complete bluffs or hands that will threebet us.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the gist of it, IMO. Great post.

I was calling down anyway, and when the [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] hit I decided to try the semibluff - I raised, then realized that I was either getting 3bet or getting a fold. I don't like it at all vs this player, and next time I'll call down instead.

Surf
Old 08-03-2005, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
These 40/12 players dont ever fold any piece of the board or even ace high, so I dont really see value in this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you have the best A high, so if they call down with A high there has to be some value in it. Also while it is a semi bluff, I think the biggest factor in making this play is whether or not hero plans on calling a river bet UI. Because if villan doesn't get 3 bet it will cost him the same to see the SD UI, but will get an extra bet if he hits.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Because if villan doesn't get 3 bet it will cost him the same to see the SD UI, but will get an extra bet if he hits.

[/ QUOTE ]
You dont gain a bet when you hit unless he threebets you on the turn. You have position and can still raise the river if you hit.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Because if villan doesn't get 3 bet it will cost him the same to see the SD UI, but will get an extra bet if he hits.

[/ QUOTE ]
You dont gain a bet when you hit unless he threebets you on the turn. You have position and can still raise the river if you hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

He;s not always betting the river with a 4 flush on board and he may not pay off the raise even if he does.